FREE Speed-Feed Calculators !!!

We are now offering our popular Speed/Feed calculators ON SALE at Ebay for $8 (shipped). These are high quality spash-proof calculators that can save you valuable time in selecting your machining parameters. Many satisfied customers.

To see and learn more about these handy little calculators, please visit our eBay auctions at:

Thanks, B&D Surplus

eBay name: BD-Surplus

***** LOOK LOOK LOOK *****

Some in this group have criticized these calculators in the past saying they are cheap, made of cardboard or paper, etc. To help put an end to these remarks, we are offering FREE FREE FREE one calculator to the FIRST 25 who email us at: bdsurplus[at]gmail[dot]com. There is NO POSTAGE due - absollutely free. We hope you will see for yourself that these calculators are high quality, splash proof plastic (no paper or cardboard) and are a very useful and time-saving tool for any machinist. Let's put an end to the negative comments once and for all. Thank you!

***** LOOK LOOK LOOK *****
Reply to
B&D Surplus

Shove it up your ass, you f****ng moron....

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

Word to the wise - drop the bullshit and L00K L@@K crap and maybe people will consider your stuff.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 16:48:15 -0800, "Jeffrey Lebowski"

This is the alt.machines.cnc Howdy.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Free...for $8.

What a deal.

Reply to
K. A. Cannon

Well, it's kinda like free, you see, but without that whole "free" thing. It's complicated; you wouldn't understand.

Yeah well you just need to L@@K! at it differently. Or something.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Lets see..stuck in a First Class envelope..postage to most of the US would be about $1.50

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

Tell you what I'm going to do. Send them all to Waste Management, Kalkaska MI, 49646 and I'll pay the land fill fees since you are giving them away free. I just want to ease your pain since having them around seems to be a problem for you.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Kalkaska?

No shit?

Gunner, graduated from Grayling High School. "Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

Come back, and bring all your stuff with you!!!

Rick, near Detroit...

Reply to
Rick

Sell them to the newbies , people in alt.machines.cnc know how to run their machines without you spaming in this group! Idea, maybe if you had a FREE mini skirted Bimbo with high heels & black stockings you could sell here?

Reply to
Why

My sister lives in Troy

Im trying to figure out a way to get my Indian motorcycle from Dads place in Grayling out here to California. If you bring it out on a flatbed, Ill help you fill it up with Stuff from my Stacks o Stuff so you have a load going home.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner posted in rec.crafts.metalworking on Thu, 08 Mar 2007 17:07:45 GMT:

You and my older brother would get along fine. He's re-building a Scout...think it's a '21.

Guys who are Indian freaks make the Harley freaks look sane.

Reply to
K. A. Cannon

With Angelina Jolie lips, and false teeth too.

Reply to
Garlicdude

I received one of the calculators that BD Surplus was giving away and I wanted to give the newsgroup an honest appraisal of the calculator. As someone has posted, I am a newbie, of sorts. My background is in the U. S. Coast Guard (retired after 30+ years). My last fourteen years or so was as the engineering officer of a couple of cutters, and a couple of Groups (taking care of the cutters, small boats and buildings attached to the Group). I was the main prop chief on another cutter, auxiliary chief on another cutter, and a regular engineer on a few others during my junior years. I took a semester of machine shop at the University of Alaska (then Ketchikan Community College), but couldn't take it again as there wasn't enough interest to get the minimum number to start a class. I have a small South Bend lathe (very similar to one that was on one of the cutters I was stationed on) and a Chinese milling machine, plus a bunch of other power and hand tools. Anything that I can find that may increase my skills, I'm willing to try.

The calculator seems to be very well made and in many (actually most) ways and many of the features are well beyond my skill level. I probably don't need to know what the chip load is, or what speeds to turn titanium alloys, or how many cubic inches per minute to mill at a given depth or width and I don't intend on turning titanium. On the otherhand, knowing the RPM needed for a "x" diamter mill is good to know (for HSS or carbide) for a given material. I've seen suggested speeds posted on the internet, so this seems to be good info. Postage to my house in Northern New York was 87 cents. The guy is not making a fortune on these calculators.

Guess what I'm saying is that the calculator would be great for someone that has more advanced skill levels. I probably wouldn't buy it myself as I can't use most of the features at this time. Someone with more advanced skills would probably find the calculator invaluable.

I'm doing this review because I promised Dan at BD Surplus I would, and I do what I say I'll do. He seemed to be an honest merchant just trying to make a buck. I don't believe flaming him so bad is necessary, but some folks have nothing better to do. Maybe he he had prefaced his original posting with "FS" he would have been more accepted. I see folks selling stuff on this newsgroup all the time, and not flamed.

Dave Young

B&D Surplus wrote:

Reply to
Dave Young

Well, I'm glad you could learn to machine with that, saves many people from running a 1/2" drill 3500 rpm in 304.

Reply to
Why

That is where the nearest land fill operator is.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Didn't see that until I posted my reply. Small world. One of these days I'd like to shoot 1000 yards at grayling, the Guard opens their range to civilians for various competitions.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

I took up Dan on his offer to receive a free "calculator", just to see what all the fuss was about. He asked for my "candid opinion" after he sent it.

I just received it this afternoon. First thing I did was note that it's made in 1980 by Perrygraf and went to look 'em up on the net. They are still around and have a decent internet presence. Basically, they manufacture slide and wheel charts like this. Pricing I saw was in the range of about $1.25 to $6.25 per piece, depending on quantity.

These are well made... a .030" thick plastic laminate sliding between two pieces of 026" thick plastic riveted at 8 points. I would expect it to hold up for some time, even in a shop environment.

While there are a number of things it can be used for, I would expect the only one I may use is a simple slider for setting tool diameter and immediately seeing the SFPM at RPM so I could find either quickly. There is also a chart for finding proper SFPM for different material, using either HSS or carbide tooling.

I'm a hobby machinist and math tutor, so I don't really worry about the math, but sometimes getting an answer quickly without mucking with the real calculator would be nice. My small calculator in the shop takes a beating.

The writing is small and my old eyes strain a bit, so that's a downside for me.

So I'll put it in a drawer the shop and see if I ever pull it out. I would not have bought one since I do so little milling.

So basically, what it is is what Dan said it is. I don't see what all the fuss and flaming and abuse is about. There's no deceipt. The price may be more than it's worth to most machinists... or maybe not. Not up to me to decide that. But if you don't want one, don't buy one. If there's a rule on r.c.m against advertisinig or referring to auctions, then I could see a problem. Otherwise, why not just ignore it so we can have at least a modicum of discussion about... metalworking.

-Bruno

Reply to
Bruno

Well if they are going to hang around and try to do business at alt.machines.cnc:

First thing they have to do is grow a thick skin. Second, answer legitimate questions.* Third, don't respond to anything else.

Tom

*Answering Trolls is like smoking cigarettes once you start its hard to stop.
Reply to
brewertr