Gas Gouge

Nurphy Oil, located in the Walmart parking lot has been running 2.99 for a week now.

But everywhere else in town is priced at 2.91.

Murphy's customer service "couldn't comment" on local pricing...

Oh, BTW, crude oil spot price has been dropping for the same period.

CaveLamb

It's not gouging if there's other folks selling -- then it's either cleverly taking advantage of people's buying habits, or stupidly pissing off your customers.

Either way, the market takes care of the details.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Idnat what Greenspan said?? Heh, I wonder exactly what "details" he was talking about.... colonospical details, methinks.

Speaking of colonoscopies, gas here in Le Rotten Apple (NYC) is about $3.50.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Two good points...

That .03 "discount card" in action?

Reply to
CaveLamb

CaveLamb used his keyboard to write :

Wot's your real problem?

Thats just over half what it costs in Australia and even ours is low compared to some countries.

Reply to
John G

Try £1.40 per LITRE! here in the UK currently. If I recall correctly, ~85% of that is tax.

JB

Reply to
JB

There are things for which the market should remain free, and things for which it should be regulated. If a few gas stations gouge their customers, and some don't, then the market will correct things. If an entire industry adopts policies that are going to have severe economic repercussions (say, for example, that the oil industry had a history of bankrupting itself and leaving the nation without a fuel supply) then either the the US government will step in earlier, or the Chinese government, in the form of it's army, will do so later.

That's not even bringing up the markets that every republican wants to strictly regulate, but never calls it a 'regulated market'. (Recreational drugs, prostitution, rounding up your kids and selling them -- these are all markets that are tightly regulated, yet that's not how folks talk about them).

Reply to
Tim Wescott

LOL

Well, the "market" regulated itself today.

Now everybody is charging 2.99...

Reply to
CaveLamb

Agree 100%. Except I think there is deep and insidious sinistry beneath all this. Greenspan: But.... but... but...... I.... I.... I..... th-th-th-thought market self-regulation was a GOOD idea!!!!! I-I-I-I d-d-d-didn't knowwwwww........

Fukn asshole.... he shoulda stuck to his clarinet....

Reply to
Existential Angst

Oh, the station I called Murphy about last night - dropped it's price to $2.95 today.

Huh!

In latest developments, Generalimiso Franko is still dead!

Reply to
CaveLamb

$3.189 here.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

When a walmart came to the town I work in, Murphy drove down the price the other gas stations were charging. Then after a year or so, it was part of the band of thieves. All they did was divvy up the suckers.

20 miles up the road there is a small gas station that is back to beating their prices again and it is on my way home, 7 miles after leaving the divided section of the highway I drive between work and home.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Perth, Western Australia

Unleaded $1.32 litre = $5.02 per US mini gallon $6.01 per real Imperial gallon

LPG 71.5c litre = $2.72 per US mini gallon $3.25 per real Imperial gallon

My '93 Nissan Patrol runs 99% of the time on LPG. Only on petrol when I run out of LPG or about 10 km once per month to operate fuel pump and prevent seals /diaphragm from drying out.

Alan

Reply to
alan200

Do they add 10% ethanol (Soon to be 15%)?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not here, thank goodness. I believe that east of the Nullarbor some parts of the country have ethanol added. Yuk.

My Patrol is thirsty enough already without ethanol adding about

15% extra fuel use penalty. LPG is the way to go, very little pollution and only a small increase in fuel consumption, very much offset by the price differential. My GPS reports that I have travelled 13748 km at a fuel cost of $1971.64 since I bought it, max speed of 126 km/hr (110 legal limit but I was on a private road ) and a moving average speed of 62 km/hr and I am 63 metres above sea level!

Most of our wheat is exported, about 95%, in competition with subsidised wheat from the USA and there is none left to waste on ethanol production.

Many years ago my ex employer used to buy in ethanol for use as race car fuel. It was a by-product from charcoal manufacture which was used in a relatively low volume cast iron smelter.

Alan

Reply to
alan200

"We" make ethanol from corn, not wheat.

I think you mean methanol?

Reply to
Steve Ackman

You are right.

We also bought ethanol, cannot remember where from - it was 46 years ago.

Alan

Reply to
alan200