Gear hobbing

The recent thread about choosing gears for the drive train in a gear hobber left me wondering. You can hob gears by driving the blank with the hob itself. I just rented a video by Jose Rodriquez that shows how to do it. There are also web sites showing hobbing with hob-driven blanks. This technique seems to work well enough. What makes the independently-driven blank process better enough to justify the highly increased complexity?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt