Generator to power MIG welder

Hi all - I haven't been here in a long time, but remember this to be one of the most knowledgeable groups about all things metal...

I need to be able to power a small MIG welder (Lincoln SP-100T) with a generator, but don't know enough about voltage, watts, etc to know what size I need. It won't be continuous use, mostly spot welds or joints that would require no more than 60 seconds of welding. This is for an on-site found object metal sculpture.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Jud Turner

Reply to
Jud

If you plug the welder directly into the generator a 20 amp 120 volt outlet will run a SP100 for light welding. Steve

Reply to
Up North

My SP-100 works fine on a Honda 2500 watt genny

Gunner

Gunner Asch

AMPS X VOLTS = WATTS. Add a 30% safety margin and you should be able to run its duty cycle.

A 2600 watt generator would not be adequate for full duty cycle in my opinion, but a 3500 should handle it all day long.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I'm not sure about the sp100t, but some inverters (MIG power supplies) can be sensitive to voltage spikes, sags, etc. I had to replace a varistor on my PowCon after it was loaned for some generator-powered field work.

Reply to
Jeff

The little Lincoln SP MIG boxes aren't inverters.

Reply to
Don Foreman

The welder itself is limited to 10% or 15% duty cycle at max output.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Correct.

Gunner Asch