Global Warming - Lie No More - American Physical Society

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in news:lgsbl8$ob6$1@dont- email.me:

I would assume that those dudes in Europe did essentially the same thing. Their big problem was getting that P-47 to climb and turn quick enough to allow them to miss the cliff faces....a kind of bombing that would be very difficult in a P-51, for example.

Reply to
RD Sandman

P-47s got the ground-attack assignments because P-51's were too easily crippled by a bullet through the oil cooler in the belly scoop.

The P-47's engine protected the rest of the plane's vitals better from frontal fire.

The bulk of the turbocharger's ducting, under, beside and behind the pilot, shows why they weren't fitted into other single-engined fighters.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in news:lgsg43$tdj$1@dont- email.me:

Additionally, per my neighbor who flew both, although the P-51 was a helluva AC, particularly at altitude, he said when they went on those runs and needed to climb and turn quickly at low altitude a P-47 was like riding on a scared monkey headed up a rope. Because of that big prop it even sat on the ground like it was wanting to haul ass climbing.

Reply to
RD Sandman

How the two compare depends on which prop the P-47 had. Here's a good article on them:

"..a kill ratio of 8 to 1 against the stiffest competition in the world."

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in news:lgsstb$8m5$1@dont- email.me:

Yep, I have been up on his site from to time.

If you are interested in flying during the Nam era, you could look at Thud Ridge by Jack Broughton. He also wrote "Going Downtown, The War Against Hanoi and Washington" and "Rupert Red Two, A Fighter Pilot's Life from Thunderbolt to Thunderchiefs. He was my old CO.

Reply to
RD Sandman

Got it, read it, liked it.

Whenever one of the regulars on rec.aviation.military wrote a book we bought it, and I still haven't found time to read my copy of Ed Rasimus' book on Robin Olds.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

RD Sandman wrote in news:XnsA2FB5DB6C391BHopewell@216.196.97.131:

Now that is way cool.

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

RD Sandman wrote in news:XnsA2FB5DB6C391BHopewell@216.196.97.131:

# Now that is way cool.

Yep, and involved balls of steel. It was like the ultimate video game where the target can shoot back at you.

Reply to
Wayne

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in news:lgt0j4$4uj$1@dont- email.me:

Thx for the reminder on that venerable newsgroup. I just went up and subscribed to it. Again, thx.....

Reply to
RD Sandman

On 23 Mar 2014, "Scout" posted some news:lgnvto$dmu$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I'm a wood pellet stove convert. Sat in a restaurant in Oregon next to one when it was raining and chilly outside during a fishing trip. This thing had an automatic feeder and it put out some heat.

Reply to
P. Coonan

Pellet stoves are quite nice as long as you don't overfill the hopper.

The problem is they don't readily lend themselves to DYI fuel supplies since it takes a certain amount of machinery and a ready supply of sawdust to generate.

In the old days, sawdust could be had for hauling it off....not any more.

Reply to
Scout

With the changing society, different fuels become available. I'd be careful about pellet stove, if the pellet makers quit, you're out of luck. Of course, same can be said for LPG and a few other heat sources. I see LPG and 220 VAC being around for a while.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Every year something disrupts the supply of pellets, but lately that's happened with fuel oil too, and our natural gas price spiked.

This month has been renamed "Marchuary". Where is the Global Warming we were promised?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Try crushing Pecan shells..... They burn.

You can buy a pellet making machine but it's expensive, then you can make dried hay/grass pellets.

I did buy rabbit food that's pellets and it's just semi dry alfalfa. I would buy a pellet machine and plant alfalfa if I still had the acreage and a larger number of animals than I had in the past. Oh and alfalfa pellets are good for chicken food additive in the winter and rabbits and goats as far as I know, I don't know if they can be mixed with cow and horse feeds and you can always try to sell the extra to the local feed store.

But the point is that you can pelletise anything to eat or burn that you you can dry and shove it into the pellet machine. You may need to add water and then dry the pellets some later....

It may be worth it if you exploit the machine to the maximum and sell pellets for (Food and fire) to other people.

You can probably pelletise old newspaper and phone books and cardboard scrap. the problem may be shredding it fine enough to be used by the pellet machine.

Maybe you can change the pellet die and make larger pellets too.

BeamMeUpScotty

People here have bought these stoves for heat if power fails. I have one also and it requires power to work. Has a battery but not sure how long that would work.

This is off topic a little but does anyone here know how Obama's suggested rules for these stoves is going to work.

In the basement I have a old log stove will people be able to keep and use these stoves?

Reply to
MattB

Load your fire wood in the front when the power is out, use the feeder when the power is on. Nothing is perfect.

Reply to
BeamMeUpScotty

Doesn't work with a pellet stove.

Reply to
Scout

A solar panel, two deep cycle golf cart batteries, and an inverter can easily handle the electrical needs of most pellet stoves.

Electrical Usage for Magnum & Country Flame Pellet Stoves

The igniter for a MagnuM Baby Countryside stove uses 175 watts and it normally takes three to five minutes to light wood pellets in a stove (it may take longer in some cases) and the igniter runs for ten minutes. The igniter takes .175kw x .08 = 1.4 cents. If the igniter is on for ten minutes it would take only ten out of sixty minutes in an hour so 1/6 x

1.4 cents = .233 cents per lighting cycle. The use of the igniter on a Magnum Pellet stove will vary with individual usage, but if it went through a relight cycle twenty times in a day it would take .233 cents x 20 = 4.66 cents or less than a nickel a day (with wet or poor fuel it may take 2-3 cycles for the unit to light properly).

The fan motors, auger motor and stirrer motor (if standard) take approximately 2.5 amps to 3.0 amps to operate. Voltage x amps = watts, so 110v x 2.75 amps = 303 watts of usage per hour. With the average price of a kilowatt at $0.08, the average electrical cost to run a stove would be .303kw x .08 = 2.42 cents per hour. If a stove ran for 24 hours in a day it would use approximately 58 cents per day (2.42 cents x 24 hours =58.176 cents). Many times a stove is not needed or used 24 per day, so the actual cost would be based on the actual hours a stove is used by a homeowner?if it was used 12 hours per day the electrical cost would be about 29 cents per day.

It should be noted that the fan for the heater exchanger on a Magnum stove does a good job of pushing the heat into the room and helps to circulate heat in a house?especially in a lower level or a basement where hot air rises throughout a structure. Magnum Pellet stoves also give off radiant heat (like the hot heat of the sun) in addition to convection heat. Compared to wood stoves or heating appliances without a blower, you get better heat circulation with a corn stove (in many cases higher thermal efficiencies with a corn stove). A forced air furnace and some other forms of heating also need a blower to move the hot air around a structure and will take as much or more electricity than a corn stove. Although electric baseboard heat does not need a blower, the average electrical usage will be much higher than a corn stove to heat a comparable area.

Note: These calculations do not include meter fees and other charges from an electric company. Voltage will vary from 110 volts to 120 volts and at start up there is a slightly higher electrical draw. For more information on electrical usage for appliances you can visit or ?Google? various websites or contact your electric company.

Reply to
starburst

Not for very long.

A typical deep cycle golf cart battery is 30Ahr, or 360Whrs....based on a 20 hour discharge rate.

However, if the discharge rate is faster than that the amount the battery can supply will be less.

So 2 batteries can, at best supply 720Whrs or 36 Watts/hour at 20hr rate.

At 3-5 minutes that is

9-15 W/hrs for each igniter cycle. Probably not significant.

303 Watts per hour.

Please note our batteries only have a MAXIMUM of 360 watts over a 20 hour discharge cycle.

Now if we assume our inverter is 92% efficient. That means for our 303 watts out, we need 330 watts in.

In short, your batteries would last, at best about 2 hours. However since this is 10 times faster than the specified 20 hour discharge rate you would probably get no more than 75% of the battery capacity. So call it 90 minutes. Then your batteries are flat, the stove stops working and the house starts to cool off.

Meanwhile, you would likely need at a solar panel rated at no less than 500 watts to run the stove during the day as well as recharge your battery for your brief night usage.

Trust me, I went through all this when rigging my system for solar power usage. There is a reason I use a massive forklift battery for my storage and I really could use a second one.

Reply to
Scout

That is an AWESOME reply!

Thank you for sharing your expertise and for sizing the equipment to match.

I would say an off-grid system is certainly feasible, then I'd hire YOU to do it!

Reply to
starburst