Greasing a Grizzly G9972Z bench lathe headstock

Here is something that seems so wrong...

This is a CQ6128Ax660 from the Yangzhou Supermachine Tool Company. The manual is hideous and poorly illustrated.

The lube instructions ask for the infamous 2# tube grease to be applied to the oil bails on the headstock.

"Grease into oil bail on headstock".

The oil bails are just that, they fit flush with the surface and they have a spring loaded ball sealing off the passage. One of the balls has already fallen into the headstock [Grizzly says that's not a problem".

Now when I was growing up, one applied grease through a zerk. Can anyone tell me how an oil bail is supposed to work with a grease gun? Is there any nozzle that will maintain enough of a seal?

Or has the Yangzhou Supermachine Tool Company screwed up with oil bails? Anyone use oil on the headstock?

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Just got off the phone with Grizzly, we went through the manual together. He had the edited version where it said to oil the headstock.

Makes me feel like I w> >

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Do you have trouble oiling the zerk on the base that's mostly under the vertical way? grrr. That's my current big gripe with the X3.

Have you broken the belt yet? Hint: if you use a fly cutter, don't try large diameter cuts on hardish steel (some kind of hand-forged mystery metal did mine in). I don't think anyone in the US sales a replacement = belt except Grizzley. Of course there's is a warranty, but I dunno if it = applies to belts... yet.

Elton

Reply to
Elton

Belt is still in one piece. I've been looking at getting a boring head [R8 integral shank, of course].

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Oil bail. I'd never heard the name before and s> > Do you have trouble oiling the zerk on the base that's mostly under = the

I bought a 2" boring head but haven't used it so I don't have an opinion yet.

I'm trying to decide between buying a face mill and a shell end mill. I can't afford both. They'll both do facing but the end mill will also do side milling, but I'll have to buy an arbor for the end mill which will make it as expensive as a face mill, initially. But a face mill will require inserts (at over $20 a set), but I can re-sharpen the end mill (I say with more confidence than I actually feel) and save money in the long run, but a face mill using a variety of inserts can cut a wider range of materials... [sigh]

Elton

Reply to
Elton