Grinding feed speed

I am building a peripheral knife grinding machine that will travel a total of 12" using a 4" tool post wheel. I would like to use a chain/sprocket assembly to drive the carriage (workpiece is stationary) but I am not having any luck determining the feed speed/lead that I need. SF per minute calculations are not helping or I don't understand how to use them. I have seen a hollow grinding machine of similar design that fed the carriage 2

3/4" per revolution of the handwheel, but I don't know if that's applicable here.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Shirley Minnick