Grip 1/4" metal pipe without marring?

Hi, Anyone have a good method to grip metal pipe without marring? I'm looking for a DIY method, hopefully with basic tools. It's 1/4" zinc plated pipe and I have another 1/4" pipe with a smooth finish(i think it's stainless). Both pipes have 1/4" MPTs and I'm trying to fit some female fittings on the ends.

Also, if there is some special tool(reasonably priced I hope) that would make thinks much easier, let me know. What do the pros use?

Thanks!

-joe

Reply to
g20joe1

The tool you are looking for is a strap wrench. Here is a photo:

There are surely Chiwanese cheapies available, but you do get what you pay for. Some of the commercial flush valves come with a plastic and rubber strap version that I'm sure any plumber would give you. You can probably improvise with a vise grip and old inner tube.

DanG

Another method you can do if its able to be mounted in a vise is take a block of wood and drill hole thorugh it to fit pipe, then slit the block so you have two blocks with half a hole each.clamp in vise using blocks to hold pipe. Can do the same with block and a pipe wrench applied to it. If yu use a dense hard wood like maple it would be less likely to crak or bust with a pipe wrench......

Reply to
Roy

Beside strap wrenches, soft vise jaws, and collets, you can avoid having to grasp the pipe at all if you are able to simply wrench the opposing end fittings.

Reply to
tomcas

Reply to
RoyJ

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I learned something new about the strap wrench. Now I get it. I tried one of those plastic ones with a rubber strap, but it couldn't grasp the slick pipe. Plus the pipe was a bit small for the wrench I had. The strap wrench for pipes could come in handy, so time to add it to the tool collection. I like the wood block technique too. Gives me some options.

-j

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
g20joe1

You've already had replies concerning strap wrenches and split wood blocks.

Split wood or soft metal blocks held in a vise are a favorite of gunsmiths for holding barrels without marring them. Powdered rosin will make them even grippier, if you need it.

There is also a wrench called a girth wrench, made for plumbers for doing the same thing. They are still made by Parmelee:

The jaws are wide, smooth three-piece jaws that completely circle the pipe or bar. Each diameter requires its own set of jaws. Unfortunately for you, they only go as small as 1/2" pipe. Plus, they are expensive.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

There's another tool that works if the inside of the pipe is accessable. It's a hex piece of stock turned down on one end with a knurled eccentric on that end. When the thing is turned the eccentric grabs the inside of the pipe. Very handy for putting in or removing shower parts. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow