Grizzly G9972Z lathe aging

Threaded View

   Finally pulled the gearbox cover plate on my lathe so I could fix the
leaking around the gearbox oil sight glass. To my surprise, it's a
plastic sight glass that is held in only through an O-ring. Not sure how
I want to take care of it, whether tapping for a threaded sight glass
using a NPT unit or whatnot. I'm just sure that replacing the O-ring
will lead to future leaking in a few years.

Re: Grizzly G9972Z lathe aging

McMaster has plenty of threaded sight glasses.

Re: Grizzly G9972Z lathe aging

I went there last night, along with Grainger. After satisfying my
perfectionist urges, it looks like I'll get new O-rings.

Though a 3/4" x 14 tpi NPT might work in the .982 diameter hole. A bit
too big for the starting diameter (about .020) but the fit should be
good ofter a eith inch or so.

Site Timeline