Grizzly G9972Z lathe aging

Finally pulled the gearbox cover plate on my lathe so I could fix the leaking around the gearbox oil sight glass. To my surprise, it's a plastic sight glass that is held in only through an O-ring. Not sure how
I want to take care of it, whether tapping for a threaded sight glass using a NPT unit or whatnot. I'm just sure that replacing the O-ring will lead to future leaking in a few years.

McMaster has plenty of threaded sight glasses.
On 2/26/2010 20:52, Ignoramus27062 wrote:

I went there last night, along with Grainger. After satisfying my perfectionist urges, it looks like I'll get new O-rings.
Though a 3/4" x 14 tpi NPT might work in the .982 diameter hole. A bit too big for the starting diameter (about .020) but the fit should be good ofter a eith inch or so.