hammered finish on aluminum plate?

HELP!

I've been asked to create an applied door covering using 1/8" aluminum plate. The (important) client strongly desires a real hammered finish. Anyone done this on anything large? I've only done it to jewelry and small sculpture.

I'd probably weld an old ball peen head onto an impact chisel bit and go nuts if someone doesn't stop me! The door is 42' x 8' 10" and done on both sides so it should probably be some kind of tool...

thanks!

Reply to
Ben Carter

Grant Erwin

I've seen hammer-finishes AL faced Formica...think slick as to how to pass it off. (top posted for your convenience)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

How about a (rented) vibratory soil compactor with an appropriately contoured plate clamped onto the bottom?

Reply to
B.B.

I like this. Sounds like a 'Tim the Toolman Taylor' kind of solution'.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

I've seen chains used for this. Get some exercise to boot!

Reply to
carl mciver

Hey Ben,

WOW!! That's a BIIIIGGG door. Is it a "door "now", or will you do the aluminum and then apply it? How many individual panels make up the cover? If it is already skinned, I'd be very concerned about how much you will be stretching the metal with the peaning. And for sure it will be warped and buckled when you're done. I wonder if the customer would go for a pattern created with a disc sander or "engine turning" design?

Take care.

Brian Laws>

The (important) client strongly desires a real hammered finish. Anyone done this on anything large? I've only done it to jewelry and small sculpture.

if someone doesn't stop me! The door is 42' x 8' 10" and done on both sides so it should probably be some kind of tool...

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Sometimes Tim has good ideas. :-)

Make a square frame that the platten will fit into. Put in 1 layer of ball bearings, a steel plate on top of that. Insert the compactor on the plate, and let her rip. It might be a little noisy. :-)

Reply to
Gary A. Gorgen