Handheld Rechargeable Spotlight recommendation

Over ten years ago, I bought a spotlight and charger at a yard sale. No brand or manufacturer info inside or out. I used it mostly to check out desturbances among the livestock; dogs and coyotes. Once for a transformer lightening strike and once for an automobile accident up on the highway. It has died.

There seems ato be no standard rating system for light output or range. Candelas, candlepower, lumens, watts? LED or HID?

I need something that will reach out there. I was surprised to find price range up to $2000. Yep, that is two thousand dollars. I would like a recommendation up to $125. Please give your reasons. TIA

Reply to
aasberry

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:bkl8vahl39cb2h1rgi949d0tckgml2ab7t@

4ax.com:

Probably just needs a new battery. Older rechargable spotlights usually used sealed lead acid (SLA) batteries and they are easy and fairly cheap to replace. It may also need a new halogen bulb. Open it up and take a look what sort of battery it uses, check the bulb and that the charger is outputting a voltage about 20% greater than the nominal battery voltage.

Reply to
Ian Malcolm

Lumens is the proper standard, but people use Searz Lumens, too, so be careful. Stick with LED for longevity and efficiency, as well as lower cost. "I just love LEDs." he gushed.

I just picked up a tremendously bright (2kLM) LED light for $5. It uses a single 18650 rechargeable battery (or 3 AAA batts) and uses a CREE XM-L T6 LED. My single will light up a face at 300 yards in complete dark in the zoom mode. Wide mode lights up the yard like daylight. Just amazing. I paid $2 for a headlight with a single T6 in it, too. Great! I really appreciate the zoom mode, giving me the pattern I need when I need it. YMMV

Several mfgrs make 3, 5, and 7x T6 bulb lights for less than $125, so check out eBay.

Here's one for a penny. (not for long)

Note the zoom and 5 modes with the barrel shaped lens cover. These are the really bright ones. Others say T6 but ship Q5 bulbs which are 1/4 the power. Caveat Emptor.

T6 multi:

3 LEDs headlamp 6kLM, $1.1

multi-T6 model:

7 LEDs, 10kLM, $19

18650s and chargers go for as little as a buck apiece. These cheap 18650s outlast the alkalines in triple AAA holders.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry, how about a link to this WunderLight?

Reply to
Rex

How about this one ? I bought 2 , my neighbor liked 'em so I got him a pair too ...

2x 2000LM CREE XM-L T6 LED Flashlight Torch Lamp Light+ Battery +Charger 3 Mode

I also got myself some extra batteries , and another 5-function 3kLM New 3000 LM Zoomable CREE XM-LT6 LED 18650 Flashlight Torch Bright 5-Modes USA

10 4.2V 18650 UltraFire Li-ion 6000mAh Rechargeable Battery for RC toy LED Torch
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Eh , links didn't come thru , but those are the ebay descriptions . Just paste the description into the ebay search window .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

It was right there in the post, Rex. (Here's one for a penny)

I think the 3-modes were all U5 rather than T6, Terry. That or lower-LM early models.

They faked the LM rating on that, but the little buggers are damned bright, nonetheless. I think actual is 1,200LM, about 30x what an old xenon bulb could do in the older incan flashlights. The new LED lights are astoundingly brighter, and batts last so much longer, too. Me like!

Just so you know, and don't pay too much extra for the high-capacity batts, UltraFire says they don't make them in that density, so you know they're probably both cloned and overrated. Ultrafires max at

3000mAh. That said, I buy the fakes at a buck apiece (10 for 9.99 with free shipping) and have had no problem with them. I don't have any comparison, though.
With the T6, they last full power about 1:45:00 and on low, about 6 hrs. I seldom use them for more than 5 minutes at a time, so it's mostly a moot point for me. During an emergency, I'll keep spare batts with me at all times, though.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

That seems to be a reasonable choice. The problem with brighter ones is t hey use more power so do not last as long. Most of our senses have a log r esponse. That is to say that a doubling of the light will only be perceive d as a slight increase in light ,but the battery life will be cut in half.

Having done a fair amount of caving with a carbide lamp when I lived in Ala bama, I know you do not need a lot of light most of the time.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

BOOM! Scared the hell out of you didn't I? ;-) Fun times! NSS 24064 if that means any thing to you... Have not had any usable carbide in over 25 years:-(

Oh, carbide light is best when every one is using it, does not mix well with blinding electric lights.

Reply to
William Bagwell

We had bird cannons that worked similarly. Wick or needle valve to regulate water onto the carbide and a diaphragm to store the acetylene and activate the valve to the combustion chamber and striker. Very LOUD! But the blackbirds would get used to them after a while. Dad supplemented by sending us afield with bricks of .22's and cases of shotgun shells. This was for 2nd crop rice.

Back in those days, kids could have a lot of fun with the carbide, avgas, and other combustibles we had around.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor