Harbor Freight Nail Guns

I know this is off topic, but because so many of us by from HF I thought I would ask here anyway. Has any one bought one of their framing nailers? If so is it woth it for the occasional project? Any comments would be appreciated.

Chuck P.

Reply to
MOP CAP

I have two of their small air guns. They seem to work fine. The first was great, and has continued to work fine....the second was 90% grease, and had to be cleaned completley before use...but it works fine now. These are not framming hammers though.

The problem I have had with my Bostich framing hammer is the trigger. It goes out on a regular basis...but only on Saturdays or Sundays when I do my projects and the repair shop is closed!

I talked with the guy at the tool shop here "Texas Tool Traders", and he said the Hitachi seemed to come in the least for trigger repairs. I have seen many contractors with Hitachi.

I guess it does not matter if you can get it repaired easily. So...given that the trigger WILL go out...maybe the question should be; has anyone tried to get HF framming hammer triggers replaced?

Also, my small air guns from HF came with a trigger repair kit, so I guess this may not be important until the second time it goes out.

Reply to
Jim Newell

Just a quick comment.

Whatever gun you use be sure to check lubrication requirements. Some guns HAVE to have it to continue functioning. On others (Paslode is one I'm pretty sure) oil will kill them AND void your warranty.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 04:03:50 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, MOP CAP quickly quoth:

I have both their 18ga finish nailer and the 1/4" staple gun. Both have worked flawlessly for me. ($40 total for the 2 guns.) I suggest that you try out the bigger model and take it back if it doesn't suit you. I don't think I'd use an HF gun for daily bread-'n-butter production work, but hobby use should be fine.

----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have two older ones that work great however i bought two more this year on sale and they jammed/broke shortly after the warranty peroid. One was a brad tacker from 5/8 to 2" brad/nails, the other was a 21degree 11ga (i think) framing nailer up to 3 1/4 " nails both looked good but were nowhere near the the older HF nailers. You better just buy a used paslode or good brand name, normally everything i have in the shop comes from HF, Grizzly or Enco but lately the HF welders and nailers are junk.

Reply to
tucker

I agree with the suggestion to acquire a used Hitachi, Paslode, Porter-Cable framing nailer. These have been around for a long time and parts are readily available. Framing nailers are not typically purchased on a disposable basis. It's not cheap if you must discard it when it breaks.

Reply to
IBM5081

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will buy a new PC from Amazon. They seem to be the least expensive when you consider shipping.

Chuck P.

Reply to
MOP CAP

I have several, they work well. Since I don't have any of the expensive brands I can't make useful comparisons. Actually I do have a PC gun for finishing nails, but it is not the same size as the HF ones so not a good basis for comparison: It does not seem to work much better, though. I have found the 28 degree framing nail gun is somewhat sensitive to the air pressure. I have a big IR compressor in my garage that is piped around the shop, and I run hoses elsewhere in the house as needed. That normally sits around 135 psi. The framing nailer will sometimes double fire or otherwise screw up with that, which is more than it is supposed to see. With a little regulator on the hose cutting the pressure down to ~90 psi it works much better. Bob Wilson

Reply to
Robert L. Wilson