Harbor Freight safety instructions

SWMBO bought a hamburger press at Harbor Freight last weekend. So I'm getting ready to use it... unpack it... to find "Assembly and Operating Instructions". (WTF?? It's a hamburger press, for Pete's sake!)

The following is directly quoted from that document:

Safety Warnings and Precautions

WARNING: When using Hamburger Press, basic safety precautions should always be followed to reduce the risk of personal injury and damage to equipment. Read all instructions before using this product!

  1. Avoid working alone. If an accident happens, an assistant can bring help. [...]
  2. Keep children away. Children must never be allowed in the cooking area. Do not let them handle Hamburger Press.
  3. Store idle equipment. When not in use, Hamburger Press must be stored in a dry location to inhibit rust. Always lock up Hamburger Press and keep out of reach of children. [...]
  4. Maintain Press with care. Inspect Hamburger Press periodically and, if damaged, have it repaired by an authorized technician.
  5. Use the right Press for the job. Do not attempt to force a small Hamburger Press or attachment to do the work of a larger industrial Hamburger Press. There are certain applications for which this Hamburger Press was designed. Do not modify this Hamburger Press and do not use the Hamburger Press for a purpose for which it was not intended.
  6. Stay alert. Watch what you are doing, use common sense. Do not operate Hamburger Press when you are tired. [...]
  7. Do not operate Hamburger Press if under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Read warning labels on prescriptions to determine if your judgment or reflexes are impaired while taking drugs. If there is any doubt, do not operate Hamburger Press.
Reply to
Doug Miller

That's one more dangerous machine you have there, maybe sawstop can design some brakes for it. Now might be a good time to upgrade your general liability and your homeowners insurance.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

[snip items 4, 5, 7, 8, 9]

Do you have an SKU # for it? The only HF hamburger press that shows up in a search for "hamburger" is SKU 96196. It and its manual are at

and and don't show the over-the-top warnings from your message, and the instructions shown seem mostly reasonable and relevant, to wit:

HAMBURGER PRESS ... WARNING To prevent health hazards:

  1. Clean thoroughly. Always clean before and after each use. Wash in dishwasher (top rack only) using hot water and antibacterial soap.
  2. After cleaning, dry all components with a clean rag. Store in a dry location.
  3. Always follow cleaning procedures after each use. Failure to do so may result in serious injury due to food poisoning.
  4. Do not use if cracked or damaged.
  5. Use for ground beef only. Do not use for other foods or any beverages. ... OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS
  6. Weigh out approximately 1/4 to 1/3 lb. of ground meat.
  7. Remove the base from the bottom of the Hamburger Press and hold the Press handle down.
  8. Spoon the ground beef into the open cup, being careful not to overfill cup.
  9. Slide base lid back into place.
  10. Set the Press down with the handle now up.
  11. Press down once on the handle.
  12. Remove the base lid. A round hamburger patty is now formed in the cup and ready for cooking. Note: The meat may stick to the Hamburger Press, depending on the fat content in the meat. Spray the lid and cup with a light coat of vegetable oil before pressing When not in use, store in dry location out of reach of children.
Reply to
James Waldby

Well, it does have moving parts. The classic for me was the day I saw a hammer hanging on the wall in my dad's old hardware store with a 13 page instruction manual.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Are you sure it's not Happy Fun Ball?

---------------------------------- Yes, it's Happy Fun Ball! The toy sensation that's sweeping the nation! Only $14.95 at participating stores! Get one today!

Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly, and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Happy Fun Ball.

Caution: Happy Fun Ball may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.

Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.

Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.

Discontinue use of Happy Fun Ball if any of the following occurs: ? itching ? vertigo ? dizziness ? tingling in extremities ? loss of balance or coordination ? slurred speech ? temporary blindness ? profuse sweating ? or heart palpitations.

If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.

Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types of skin.

When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be returned to its special container and kept under refrigeration. Failure to do so relieves the makers of Happy Fun Ball, Wacky Products Incorporated, and its parent company, Global Chemical Unlimited, of any and all liability.

Ingredients of Happy Fun Ball include an unknown glowing green substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.

Happy Fun Ball has been shipped to our troops in Saudi Arabia and is being dropped by our warplanes on Iraq.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Happy Fun Ball comes with a lifetime warranty.

Happy Fun Ball! Accept no substitutes!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Seems you could simply

A. Step on the hamburger. or B. Sit on the hamburger.

;~)

Reply to
Leon

Don't laugh, I've used some fluorescent orange marking paint that indicated "Contents partially unknown".

Reply to
Pete C.

Welcome to America in the 21st century.

Cover you ass in all possible ways or the plaintiffs attorneys will get you!

CP

Reply to
Pilgrim

Go with Tupperware.

Been using them since mid '70s.

Great for freezer storage.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I've never found a hamburger press that pressed the patties as wide as I like them, so I just use my hands, and warsh them off with some Dawn when I'm done.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I would sue for negligence:

1) No warning about using safety glasses. 2) Are you sure that the press does not contain materials known to cause cancer in California?

Very sloppy warning IMHO...

Reply to
Michael Koblic
.

Don't they end up tasting soapy?

Reply to
Bob F

I've had socks that were "100% unknown fibre", so there!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Beat me to it!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Try a tortilla press.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Doug Miller" wrote

Damn, that sound more dangerous than a radial arm saw!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Maybe it was a bored tech writer having a little fun. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

"Read this material before using this product. Failure to do so can result in serious injury. SAVE THIS MANUAL"

...from the operating instructions that came with the 6" digital caliper I picked up at HF yesterday.

[image of a monkey trying to cover its backside with all four hands]
Reply to
Morris Dovey

That's the one!

Reply to