Hardening Titanium

This was an interesting read. Anyone know more?

Let's see, Ti is $3.80/kg and Au is $1,327/troy ounce. Mixed 50/50, that makes for an expensive alloy. But what's another $663 when you're gouging $30k-$61k for a new hip? A friend down the street (now deceased) had 3 hip surgeries and wore a 3" platform on one shoe. He'd have killed for this new hard joint.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

One of the ideal values of Ti is that it isn't HARD. It is flexible. It is strong. It stands up to a lot of bending/stretching.

Now if the gold alloy of Ti is flexible, strong, and hard that has other useful values.

Might make a good Insert or drill flute.

Mart> This was an interesting read. Anyone know more?

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I think they were looking for a hard and tough joint material which will get little lube, though I know nothing of human joint replacement design.

Reply to
Larry Jaques