heavy duty wheels for toolbox

hi all

i need some really heavy duty wheels to roll around my toolbox can ya all recommend some wheels to me

provide me with website if ya can

my box prolly around a bit over 1000 lbs now

thanks al

-- feenyX2

Reply to
feenyX2

I got the 6" steel ones - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Those prices don't look that cheap to me. I've bought casters cheaper at Northern Tool and at HF. They work fine under my machines.

Rex

Reply to
Rex B

Yea, those chinese casters mostly work. Good casters cost though and there IS a difference (I aint got a clue if cheapcasters are any good but MSC does have some good ones) Although I do generally go cheap chinese, there are times when the good USA versions (which DO empty your wallet) are worth it. I look at it the same way I look at tools in general: Dollar store tool? Yea maybe for some things that don't really matter much but a good one I only have to buy once.

A 1000 pound tool box which may be carrying $ 20,000 in tools deserves some really good casters. Expect to pay about 70 bucks a piece and expect to be happy with that cost 40 years from now when it is still rolling just fine.

Koz (who has seen dozens of the cheap casters collapse on cusstomer's equipment)

Reply to
Koz

In my case, I'm just trying to get all my shop furniture mobile, so I'm spending ing

Reply to
Rex B

On this subject, I bought one of those machinery mover things from Homier. It's a square frame about 2x2 feet with 2 wheels at the rear. The front single wheel is on an over-center foot pedal to raise it into place so the platform will roll. It works pretty slick, but after about a week under my 55-gallon drum parts washer, it basically fell apart. I'd like to find a hardier version of that for things like my tire machine and balancer. I don't think a tire machine would do well on casters ;)

Any good sources on a better device like the above?

Rex

Reply to
Rex B

I found the style you mentioned to be a pain in the neck. The one I have is heavy enough but I hate the "tilt to move" thing.

Grizzly machine roller bases are pretty danged sturdy but they all use a screw down system that just isnt enough to keep equipment from moving on a smooth floor. They probably work better if you have a rough surface.

I have seen the onces where pushing a pedal lowers the wheel (each wheel seperately) and that seems to be a fairly good system..things don't move when the wheels are up and levelers are in place while the wheels aren't. It also seems ot be a little pricey and I doubt they would work with heavier stuff.

If you find a good balance between sturdy and price, let us all know. Invent one and people will probably be lining up at your door.

Reply to
Koz

Koz wrote:

Well, here's what I'll probably do for the tire machine: Bolt the floor-mounting ears to 2x2 square tubing that extends 2" past the base at each end. Complete the square by bolting two more 2x2s on top of those, with a single through-bolt to a welded nut. Casters fastened to 4 outboard upper ends. throughbolt connectors to have enough additional threads to exceed the height the casters raise the machine. To lower and park, unscrew the bolts enough to let the machine down. To raise and move, tighten the bolts, pulling the 2x2s back together and raising the machine. I'll have to adjust this some to make room for the pedals and the side bead-breaker. For something like a mill-drill, a simple rectangle around the base would do. . Typical Materials would be

~12-ft 2x2 heavy wall tubing. 4 3/4" USS 6" bolts, with nuts and washers. 4 3" steel or cast iron casters

I'll probably do this with my Enco 1024 lathe, but I don't know that I'd have to make it where it lowers. I think just a frame on casters would do, as long as the frame was rigid

Reply to
Rex B

Reply to
carl mciver

"Koz" wrote

In the convention industry, we use four wheel dollies. The wheels they use cost about $15 each, so a dolly is about $75 per. They have hundreds of them at each door.

They abuse the heck out of them. And only occasionally, you see one sidelined, mostly from encounters with forklifts.

You get what you pay for, particularly in casters. And tires.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I built a rolling stand for my RF-30 Mill/Drill using these 5",

600lbs-rated, polyurethane-on-steel casters from Grizzly.com:

?itemnumber=G8177 (I bought them while they were on sale, so I saved a dollar per caster.) In any case, they are sturdy and they work great. I like the poly tire surfaces because they aren't noisy and don't chew-up the concrete floor the way solid steel casters do.

Grizzly also sells larger and smaller casters (diameter and capacity) to fit your needs.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver