help with an old(ish) machine

I recently purchased an old(ish)engraving machine on a whim. I consider it on a whim because its finer points of use are unknown to me. I am hoping someone here may be familiar with this machine. I can post photos later to help with discussions. Kampf Maschinenfabrik Michael Kampf KG Bad Homburg V.D.H. The machine was used to engrave serial numbers on the outside edge of brake disks and is setup with a rack and pinion on the "y" axis to spin the disk as a proxy for latitudinal movement. The "x" axis is standard. These things I know. What I don't know is how, or whether, the ratio of the copy arm can be adjusted. I have calculated the gain by measurement and it works OK but there is something happening on the arm that I do not understand. It is possible I am missing some pieces for this function...as I appreciate it, there is a skew adjustment and an adjustment for gain (somewhat less than on most pantographs I have seen). I have the operators manual but it is in German (therefore of little value to me without a translation). The Kampf GMBH on the internet has merged several companies recently and has taken a different direction (slitting and roll handling) in the last few years. Consequently, I am hoping someone on this group may have some experience with this machine. Thanks in advance for any info. HA Bruce

Reply to
andy

I don't know the machine but have worked with Gorton and Dekel pantograph machines. The two arms would have a set of markings on them that would constitute a scale of non-linear dimensions and there would be a clamp on there, probably on a dovetail setup, so that the arms would be adjustable if the machine was designed to do different sized numbers on it. If it isn't adjustable, all of the joints of the pantograph would be solid pins into bearings.

Bob May