herbert box tool

hello all. this is my first post so bare with me if I have repeated what has been asked before. I have a Herbert no 5 preoptive lathe with many accessories. I have figured out the die-heads and have had good results. now I am needing some help on the box tool heads. can some one give me the setup procedure for these and also the tool sharpening angles as these look quite different from the norm. plus most of my tooling uses inserts so grinding is relatively new to me. thanks . Ron

Reply to
Ron from Oz

Ron,basically you turn a short length to the diameter you want using a conventional tool.Then set your box turner over it and adjust the rollers until they are just touching,you should be able to stop them turning with your finger,be careful you dont get your finger under the roller.To set the tool it depends on whether the tool is mounted conventionally or at a tangent.Before turning the diameter with the box tool you should put a chamfer on the nose of the bar.Ward did a really good book for setting and using tooling on capstan lathes and this would apply to the Herbert as well.There was one on Ebay.co.uk if it`s gone Alec at Budget Machinery in England should be able to do you a copy.Email me for his address.Incidentally I threw mountains of No.5 tooling in the skip a few months ago. regards,|Mark.

Reply to
mark

As they say at the nudist colony, "bare with me...." :

Reply to
Don Foreman

thanks. the weekend is here and i will start to tinker

Reply to
Ron from Oz

"Ron from Oz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Ron,

While not specific to Herbert, there is a wealth of information on a variety of screw machine and turret lathe type tooling here:

Enjoy.

Reply to
D Murphy