Historically accurate foundry tools

Excuse the newbie questions.

A small historical society owns the building where a former foundry was located. This foundry existed under several different names from the 1870s to the 1970s. They would like to outfit it with some basic tools to teach the public about sandcasting.

What type of flask would be most appropriate for which era: wood, steel, or aluminum? I believe it's safe to assume that wooden flasks appeared first, with steel flasks introduced later, and then aluminum. As each new material was introduced, the previous was not entirely abandoned, but rather saw continued use. So, a small foundry from the 1960s may have had all 3, whereas one in the 1920s would have used only steel or wooden flasks, and a foundry from the 1890s would only have had wooden flasks? Correct? Anyone know more specific dates?

How about steel or brass molders sculpting tools.....?

I suppose they really must decide which era they're attempting to portray.

Thanks

Reply to
J D

Newbie questions are like "which BP import should[n't] I buy??". :^)

Hmmm...

So, a small foundry from the 1960s may have had all 3,

Sounds good to me. Honestly, I have absolutely no idea.

Personally, I have mostly wood (1x4 pine) flasks, and one aluminum flask. But I'm not professional, either.

Geesh, there's a million and a half slicks, spoons, carvers and trowels for the business. I get by with a teaspoon. YMMV...

Many tools may also be cast by those who used them. I cast two rammers for myself, a small and large. Traditionally they are made of wood. IMHO, aluminum is better, but I don't have the slightest idea if that is historically accurate.

Don't forget about mass-production equipment - molding presses and matchplates would've come about in the last hundred years or so (probably much earlier, especially in Europe where the infrastructure was more developed).

Yeah. I'd also check with some other similar historical organizations. The AFS can probably hook you up with some references.

Tim

Tim Williams

You might want to contact these people:

Last time I was by, they had a bunch of period wooden flasks just sitting out in the weather. I would think they would be glad to have someone take a couple for for a museum.

Reply to
Jim Stewart