Hobart Gasoline Welder

Anyone know anything about this beasty?

I brought it home last night. Previous owner claimed it ran the last time they welded with it..about 12 yrs ago. Look at the wheels....blink blink..Ive never seen a wheel with no hole in the middle before. I drug it from Bakersfield..about 45 miles at 55-60 mph and the bearings didnt get warm..and I know it had sat parked for at least 8 yrs since they pulled it down from the ranch.

Owner claimed it had come off a Liberty Ship vintage WW2...shrug

Anyone have any ideas?

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I have an idea that a beer would be real good right now...

And that I'd rather sip a beer and contemplate you working on that thing than me...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Nope, sorry Gunner.

But could you do me a real biggie and run a couppla tests for the post down below please?

As I said I've been lurking and occasionally posting on here.

I know all about your wheel incident & love your posts.

Hell, I'm learning from reading on here

(posted from sejw)

Reply to
ElusiveStranger

Good thing that it is a simplified welder. Nice cables too.

Does it crank?

Ignoramus28336

Looks like a good ole 226 Continental---taxicabs--kaiser-frazier--If the block is OK you're in pretty good shape---but Continental made a lot of industrial engines--there can be differences in the front cover mounting holes in block, and possibly the rear mounting too..

Reply to
Jerry Wass

Had lots of similar types in Nam when I was there. Watch out for the fan blades when it is running as there is no shroud when the sides are up. I got my fingers in there and bloodied good when I was there. And to top that off, my uncle had one and did the same thing a few years ago.

Reply to
Bob Noble

Got a spare Diet Mt. Dew and Ill join you. Maybe we can con some young guy into firing it up....?

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

What sort of test?

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

No idea. Its missing the battery.

Chuckle..the welding leads I suspect are as hard as a rock. Here in the high desert...when its 120F..and stuff enclosed in a metal box and stand in the sun for a number of years...getting up to 150=160F.... Standing just right..the stinger shows crystalization of the plastic. Shrug..Ive got lots and lots of stingers if that one starts to disintergrate.

Ill have to check everything out, fill the empty radiator, add some fuel, etc etc and try it out. I did notice that there is No air cleaner..though the air stack goes way way up into the upper dome of the cabinet. After seeing that..Id be quite suprised if it has "good" compression. Though to be fair...up that high..it may not have sucked up any "big" stuff.

Ill take some photos of the other side..where the water jacket cracked many years ago and they patched it. It was on a ranch up in the Sierras..and it may have frozen. I was told once..but after the stroke..some tidbits went away. No biggie.

I think Ill run the engine down to the car wash and blow out the birds nests, tumbleweeds and whatnot that cover the motor itself.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Which fan blades? Generator or engine? Generator blades are open on the bottom of the generator housing..the engine fan is tucked in behind the radiator nicely.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

The water jacket was cracked as I recall..I need to open the "drivers" side but Ive got the temporary taillight wiring attached to it so need to remove it first. They patched the water jacket many years ago and ran it for many years after that. Ill take pictures tommorow and investigate it better. Might even try to jump start it..but gas is dear at the moment and it Can wait for a bit.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Look at the engine fan blades in the picture. There is no shield around them when the sides are open. The sides are unusually raised to run it and when those blades are spinning, they can't be seen and it's real easy to get your fingers in there if you poke at something and don't see the fan. Trust me on this. I just thought I was stupid when it happened to me, but when my uncle did it too and got hurt way worse than me, I recognized the safety problem.

Reply to
Bob Noble

Thanks! Ill pay particular attention when I try starting it. Rotating knife blades turning at 1500 rpm make me nervous when it involves my fingers.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 22:36:08 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

Welding tests, like "the wheel incident"?

-- The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Rather than trying to be careful, I would fabricate and install a simple fan shroud and be done with it.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

With a bit of luck the engine is free. I remember your stuck piston adventure.

Reply to
Buerste

Cringe...yeah..that has concerned me. What would you guys do prior to trying to start up an engine thats sat for 12 or more years?

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Thankfully..Crom has increased my skill set somewhat since those days....not a lot..but some. Now if I could only make them universally "pretty"....sigh

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Make sure to use plenty of steam to remove all the 'Liberal droppings'! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Make sure it turns over, has spark and that the carb isn't plugged full of varnish/old gas/dirt daubers. If possible it wouldn't be a bad idea to connect up a way to push some new oil into the bearings and such before turning it over a lot. If it has a distributer driven pump you could use a tool to spin the pump until it has oil pressure.

Then shoot a small amount of Kroil/WD 40 or other THIN creeping lube into each plug hole and turn it over slowly so the oil can coat the walls. Then shoot some gas into the carb bore and see if it fires.

Make sure the gauges work prior to starting on this. Nothing like thinking everything is OK when you really have no oil pressure!

Reply to
Steve W.