Hoppes #9

There ain't a guy alive who's ever used Hoppe's #9 that

>doesn't like its distinctive aroma. I don't know if it's seductive >to women or not, but it's gotta beat Downy.

I once went to a bar to shoot a little pool after a day at the range and some clean up afterwards. As I was working my way to the bar to get a Pepsi..a gal, who was standing talking to another fellow suddenly stopped in mid conversation...wrinkled her nose for a second..spun around and put her arms around me..and sniffed.

She got this big grin on her face...told me I smelled just like her Dad..and would I like to dance?

Out on the dance floor, during a very cuddly slow dance..I noticed she had a hide away pistol tucked away on her person..and I leaned to her ear..and tenderly asked her what caliber..she blinked for a moment...said it was a .380. I then directed her hand downwards to my hideaway rig..and said mine was a .45..she paused for a moment..blinked again, licked her lips..and asked if Id like to leave?

I, as a gentleman, will not discuss the rest of the evening for those who have fragile sensibilities.

Not long ago, after a day serviceing machines in a screw machine shop..I was standing in line at a Wells Fargo bank..and the very pretty little gal behind me sniffed...looked up at me with those big brown eyes..sniffed again..and said I smelled just like her Dad and was I a machinist? I said yes..and she said I stunk just the way her Dad did.

Sigh...

Hoppes gets the girls...high sulpher machine oil makes you feel old....

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

It sure beat the hell out of doe-urine deer scent. My hat smelled like that in 9th grade, and the girls always moved to the other side of the schoolbus when I sat down.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Think I'll switch from Shooters Choice. Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait

That's funny.

Like some of those: your a gun nut if... Like the Bambi cartoon & having one in every room even though you have one on you, case ya need it in the hallway.

Got some more machines and the wife asked me if any where duplicates.

Is it possible to find a 6 foot planer in the south left coast?

Reply to
Sunworshipper

I always told my daugher to forget about perfume, just put a dab or two of hoppes behind her ears.

Her comment was that she would rather have some high octane fuel for that purpose any day. She loves the smell of gasoline and hot oil.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

.. She loves the smell of gasoline and hot oil.

Many of us love the smell of back seats and hot girls ..

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grant, undisputed king of parody, sez:

Cute, Grant! Get serious though and tell me if you agree Hoppes #9 doesn't smell as sweet as it did many years ago. Local gun nut type says the govt. "denatered" it a while back and removed a carcinogen that was largely responsible for the great smell.

Bob Sw>

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Hi Bob, I think the same thing happened to "Tap Magic" a few years ago. Just doesn't smell or work the same.

Reply to
Rastus

Well, I never smelled it before. It smells like banana oil, of course, you can go to the massage store and smell some, very similar. I am not a gun person, I only use it for cleaning old machine tools. I have never found a solvent like it for removing yellow varnish from machine tool ways and leaving them bright clean.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

LOL!

Thanks, Gunner. My first genuine belly laugh this year.

Question: Not being a gun nut, or even a Yank, I'm not familiar with the oil in question. Is it anything like the sweet tang of WD-40?

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Jeff R

Seems like I get the girls attracted to "PB Blaster"

Reply to
Tom Gardner

=================== see: http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:qoCxkB3_pQIJ:

1,1,1 trichlorethethane -- see if your dry cleaner will let you have some. [don't drink it...]

Uncle George

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

================== see

secret ingredient appears to be (iso) amyl acetate see
Uncle George

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Thanks George.

So it smells of artifical bananas? Like those "banana" sweets?

(Incidentally, I note with amusement the MSDS linked above refers to the color as: "pungent odor", and the odor as: "amber colored".

Someone was obviously sniffing it.

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Jeff R

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:qoCxkB3_pQIJ:

Dry cleaners use Perchloroethylene (tetrachloroethylene or "perc"). Different stuff. 1,1,1-Trichloroethane was banned for general use over 10 years ago. Its cousin 1,1,1-Trichloroethylene is on the shelf at my local hardware store at $30 per gallon.....Paul

Reply to
PJ

Oh dear. Better have her checked for "the knack". She may have to go to Olin.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Who put that on your hat - your Mom ?!

I bet!

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Ed Huntress wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Idunno what happened, but I knew it beat the hell outta sniffin' burlap... :)

Reply to
Don Bruder

I did. All the guys put deer lure on their hats. It's just that only a few of us went all the way with the doe urine.

It was a nice hat, too, yellow leather, before day-glo orange came out.

My mother was used to worse smells. I ran a trapline, and there were musky smells in the garage all the time. And that doesn't even count the time she ran over a skunk and the damned thing got stuck up in the wheel well.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

You are correct Bob..I have a 20 or more year old Gallon of Hoppes..and it smells different than the new stuff. Works much the same..but it (new stuff) smells "off"