Hot Metal

I'm the guy with the grey beard.

Lots of fun.

Reply to
Ray Spinhirne

Excellent teamwork. I take it this is not the first time yall have done this?

Well done!

Gunner

Gunner Asch

That is way cool!

Are you going to do a video on the process of making the sand molds? I always wondered how that was done!

Carla If you love someone, set them free. If they don't come back, call them up later when you're drunk.

Reply to
Carla Fong

--Niiice! I like the way you preheat the crucible on top of the furnace. Got totally sidetracked and spent half an hour watching other pours, too. Looks like you've got an interesting backyard; where you at?

Reply to
steamer

This was in San Antonio at a local art location named "Sculptors Dominion".

It was actually my second time assisting with a pour. The women shown is an art instructor and the real expert. If you noticed after the first pour we did not have the sequence perfect as we poured the excess back in the furnace before plugging the pour hole. The video was taken by

some bystander. I did not have any part in the editing.

We used resin bonded sand molds and spent considerable amount of time getting the molds created. The open top one is going to be a lathe faceplate. I have started the maching on it and it looks like its going to be pretty nice.

For the raw material I used mainly brake drums and rotors and the result looks good so far. Perhaps someday I need to prepare an article on "building machine tools from scrap auto parts".

Reply to
Ray Spinhirne

Hey Ray,

Neat !!! Looks like fun.

At NAMES 2009 in April, Rick Chownyk, the President of the Metro Detroit Metalworking Club is into somewhat smaller furnaces and pours, but he is going to do a demo on

"BUILD A BACKYARD FOUNDRY" (Plans & Tips, Discussion)

followed immediately by

"ALUMINUM CASTING" (Demonstration Melt/Pour, Different Pattern Materials)

Hope I get time to actually watch it!!

Take care. Thanks for the video.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXX

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I have been to a number of pours put on by the Iron Guild associated with Mass. College of Art. Here are some links to photos and video clips:

Also here are photos from Mystic River Foundry who poured some pieces for me. The photos show the whole sequence of making the molds and pouring the AL.

I too am looking forward to the demonstration pours at NAMES.

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff

You need to join the yahoo group "castinghobby" . We got a guy in Luther Ok. that's built a tilting furnace , and is using resin-bonded sand to pour CI parts for a scale railroad . I'm a beginner , and have only done a couple of lost-foam castings - plus thirty-some ingots all from scrap aluminum . It's a very addictive hobby !!

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Nice work. Reminds me of the trip our club took to Stanford University and did the like task in Bronze.

I have my object milled out in the shop. Pictures are in fact on our Kodak view screen in the living room.

Thanks for the memories - I have to get my bronze furnace up and running!

Mart>

Martin H. Eastburn

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 10:12:15 -0600, Ray Spinhirne wrote (in message ):

it is exciting to pour and very satisfying to see what comes out of the sand! I am happy to see all the safety gear. I worked for a very short time at a foundry here many years ago. We'd do ten 5-ton heats every night, and our only safety gear was a hard hat and a pair of #12 half-lenses we could flip down over our safety glasses. We had gloves, too. I quit after 40 days... got tired of running from leaking ladles and trying to stop flasks from leaking. lost most of my sense of smell there, too. Spent about 25 years pouring thermite rail welds, when I wasn't doing other track welding. The thing is, it is really satisfying to pour this stuff, and am a bit envious of you who have your own pouring setup. tom k.

Reply to
tom koehler

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 10:12:15 -0600, Ray Spinhirne wrote (in message ):

very satisfying to see what comes out of the hot sand... I worked for a short time in a foundry, helping pour ten 5 ton heats a night. We did not have any of the safety gear shown in this great video of yours. In 1972 all we had was heavy gloves, #12 shade half lenses to flip down over our regular safety glasses, and a hard hat. Lost most of my sense of smell from overexposure to the slag fumes (I was the junior guy on the ladle crew and had to roll the ladles over when we were done pouring - no masks available) I then spent over

20 years as a track welder and some of my work was to pour thermite rail welds... always satisfying to see what came out of the molds (unless there was a blowout)

very nice video

tom koehler

Reply to
tom koehler

"tom koehler" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.frontiernet.net...

In reality their safety gear far beyond what's actually needed.

Reply to
Elliot G

Spoken like someone who's never poured molten metal .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Fan-damn-tastic! All too often I find posted video to be ho-hum. I watched this one the whole way through. Looked to be very well choreographed; everyone knew what they were doing (well, mostly... :-))

That video has given me a new appreciation for iron casting. All I've done is aluminum and pot metal... and I think I'll stick with those for a little while...

Best -- Terry

Reply to
Terry