How do I make a sleeve "stop" in square tubing

I want to sleeve two pieces of square tubing together, each piece about two foot long. I want to be able to pull the smaller one out (like extending a collapsable car antenna) and have the small one stop just before it comes all the way out of the larger one. How do I create the "stop" inside the two pieces to make this happen? Ronnie Lyons Meridian, Idaho

Reply to
Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho

Postulate two pieces of square tubing, one 2" square on its ID, the other

1.5" square on its OD. To the outboard edge of the outer tube weld pieces of 1/4" flat bar around its inner diameter, just reducing it to 1.5" ID. To the inboard end of the inner tube weld more pieces of 1/4" flat bar thus increasing its OD to 2". File the flat bar for a close fit. Now the inner tube should pull all the way out of the outer one but will be prevented from leaving it by the flat bar.

If the tube is designed to be telescoping (i.e. a close fit everywhere) then you will have to mill a slot down one side of the outer tube and install a pin on the inner tube which rides in the slot. The pin will prevent the tubes coming apart.

Grant Erw> I want to sleeve two pieces of square tubing together, each piece

Reply to
Grant Erwin

How about using a stop similar to an umbrella lock. You know where you push a spring loaded button to unlock the mast. I have some crutches here that have a similar device. I think Reid tool in Michigan sells them. You could use more than one if you need the strength.

Reply to
dann mann

How about using a stop similar to an umbrella lock. You know where you push a spring loaded button to unlock the mast. I have some crutches here that have a similar device. I think Reid tool in Michigan sells them. You could use more than one if you need the strength.

Reply to
dann mann

If you want the two pieces to telescope closely, and don't want slots in either of the pieces, then you can rig up a stop rod that will slide inside the inner tube.

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957