How effective are home bandsaw welders?

Is it worth buying one of those home bandsaw blade welders? I always have a few snapped blades that I could weld up, and I have heard it is quite cheap to buy rolls of blade, but I am wondering if the results are as durable as commercially welded blades. Have people here had good results? Are there good and bad welders, or bacause the process is mainly electrical are most welders okay? The one I am looking at is an MVM brand, which I have never come across before. All comments would be appreciated.

Reply to
Nick Alexander

I've never heard of that brand, but I have used a couple of different Pacific Rim (as well as good ol american iron) and they worked fine. As long as there's enough power to allow fusion and the blade fixture holds the blades in good alignment and keeps them that way during the weld you should be able to get welds about as good with one of these that you'll get with pre-welded blades.

Reply to
Jim Levie

I've always silver soldered my blades and only had one joint fail in about 15 years. The jigs that hold the ends together while soldering work very nicely. Easy to make yourself too.

Important thing is to scarf the ends and grind the joint so it doesn't bump going through the guides. A Google search should get you some plans.

I bought a bunch of surplus blades for a very good price that were 10 inches too long. Easy to modify to fit my saw.

Earle Rich Mont Vernon, NH

Reply to
ERich10983

I have a 12 volt automotive battery powered blade welder and it works like a champ. Does bi-metal and regular carbon steel blades perfectly

There is a link to the manufacturer of the bvlade welder on my website under my 20 inch home made bandsaw link on the projects page as well as the modifications to the H/V bandsaw page. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Earl sez:

"The jigs that hold the ends together while soldering work very nicely. Easy to make yourself too."

I made one from a "welder's" Vicegrips.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney