How to cut a slot in the bottom of a U-shaped piece of aluminum flat bar?

The question is, how to cut the slot in the U-shaped flat bar?

Came up with IMO a cool way to attach that U-shaped aluminum flat bar fork (mentioned in my prior post) to the wide piece of aluminum flat bar that will be used as the skate wheel fork. Just cut a slot in the bottom of the U. Stick it on the wide piece of flat bar. Then drill a small hole for a bolt at the very bottom of the U. And then put a bolt through the hole and squeeze the bottom of the U together. The fork can't go anywhere. It could be enhanced simply by cutting very short slots in wide piece of aluminum flat bar, and it would be rock solid. I will include a pic since it's probably not easy to understand even with a wordy description.

I guess a bandsaw might be useful to cut the slot in the U-shaped fork, but I ain't got one. It would probably need a thick/odd blade anyway, The slot needs to slide as snugly as possible onto the wide piece of aluminum flat bar. And some some super glue will keep it from any microscopic movement. It might take some time to cut that slot, but I have time (and lots of hand tools).

I suppose a hack saw might do, with the U stuck upside down in a vice. But that would just get it going, the slot would have to be widened. Using some wider blade saw might help, slowly and very carefully.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

I would use a table to make the cut.

Depending on the thickness of the sheet metal, a good match to the table saw blade thickness is possible. I would fix the aluminum piece to a wooden jig and pass the jigged workpiece along the fence and thru the saw.

Getting a decent cut with hand saw would be difficult.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Here are a few ideas. Make the U-shaped part from 4 separate pieces: two thinner U-shapes and two flat spacers that will leave a gap or slot at the bottom where you want it. Assemble with counter-sunked screws and tapped holes, or braze with propane torch and aluminum braze.

Or: cut the slot a little sloppy and oversized. Jig the large flat plate in position and braze filling in the gap, use flux.

Or: make a jig with a slot in front and back to guide your hacksaw if it is the right thickness.

Reply to
anorton

"John Doe" wrote

You can put more than one blade in a hacksaw frame.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

mill it

Depending on which alloy, you can even use a carbide wood router bit on soft Al if have variable speed router to slow it down a little.

Reply to
dpb

Good idea! (I hope that I remember it the next time that I need a wide cut .)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Did you read the original post or look at the picture?

Since the bar must be bent into a U-shape before the cut is made, I think the suggestion to use a table saw is best (if you have one).

Reply to
John Doe

After buying the house I had no money for tools, so I hit the Saturday yard sales and flea markets. Most of the power tools I found either still worked or needed only a simple repair. I still use the 8" table saw I got for $10 because abrasive cutoff wheel debris can't do more than $10 in damage to it.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I more or less followed the first table saw fence suggestion by making a fence for my circular saw. Used carefully, it worked fine.

Reply to
John Doe