How to cut metal pole

Threaded View
I need to cut a steel pole.  It is the pole of an inground basketball
goal.  It is currently standing up and anchored with concrete to the
ground.  I am totally clueless about metal cutting.

Is it possible to "saw off" the pole near its base ?  If yes, what
type of saw or cutting tool do I need to use ?  Any advice on how to
go about it ?

For background, this is an old and broken goal installed by the
previous owner of the house.  It is just outside our fence, on the
back alley.  This morning a city inspector knocked on our door and
asked that it be removed immediately, since some big trucks are having
problems going through the alley.

Another option would be to break the concrete base where it is
anchored.  But that seems to me like even a bigger and more complex
job.

Please help.

Thanks,
Andy

Re: How to cut metal pole

Andy wrote:  (clip)Any advice on how to go about it ?
^^^^^^^^^^
Oxy-acetylene cutting torch.  Drill a hole just where it comes out of the
concrete imbedment, to make it easy to start the cut.  Afterwards, grind it
off smooth and fill with concrete.  The cutting part should take, maybe, two
minutes.  Maybe someone in your area with a torch will offer to help.  Where
are you?

Re: How to cut metal pole

it
two
Where

Man oh man that's extreme. I've cut hundreds of steel objects off that were
imbedded in concrete and lived to cut another day. Mostly anchors, some
pipe, wide flanges ect. An inexperienced type could direct enough heat into
the concrete to pop a few pieces out, but that is how we learn not to do it!

JTMcC.

Re: How to cut metal pole

clare wrote:  Do NOT use a torch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The concrete will blast
away something awfull.
^^^^^^^^^^^
I think NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!  If you turn the torch directly onto the concrete,
you will surely get some flaking and popping, but if you direct the flame to
the inside of the pole, through a hole, as I suggested, you will not have
this problem at all.  The trick is to get someone with a torch to come help
you.  If you have to hire a professional, with a truck full of equipment,
then it could be fairly expensive.  In that case I would resort to a
Sawzall, or just follow the legal counsel of several others in this thread,
and let the city take care of it.

If the concrete contains that special expanding re-bar that is evidently
used in Texas freeways, this could be a whole nother story.  :-)

Re: How to cut metal pole
    The cheapest and fastest method for you will probably be to get a
41/2"
 grinder ( Dewalt or Makita style ) and along extension cord at Home Depot
or other tool store like that and grind through and around the pipe at the
ground level about 90 percent of the out side.
Then bend the pipe and it will probably break the rest or the way off. You
can then grind the pipe flush with the ground.
Be sure to wear your safety glasses.

Re: How to cut metal pole

A few ways:

Ideally, with a cutting torch.  Blow a starter hole, and jump back in case
it has water in it.  Cut as low as you can.  Maybe take a chisel and cut
down an inch or so under the level of the street.  Backfill with concrete.

Hand grinder.  Hack saw.  Sawzall.  Circle saw with metal cutting blade.

Cutting with the means that will leave metal above ground, cut the stump
vertically several times so that you can fold pieces inward and downward.
Use large hammer to bend them over.  Imagine banana peels, but going inward
into the hole.

Whatever you do, have one or two people with ropes to pull the thing the way
you want it to fall.

Good luck.  Not a big project, but an interesting one where you have to be
paying attention.

Steve

Re: How to cut metal pole
    1) Rent a pipe cutter. Cut as low to the ground as possible.  Smash the
remaining stub down with a sledge. Or...
2) Get a shovel and dig around and below the concrete, it probably has no
more than one bag of concrete.  Use the pole as a big lever to drag the
thing out of the ground, it won't be as hard as you think.  Call the city to
haul the thing away.

Vaughn

Re: How to cut metal pole

My personal preference is 3 wraps of 200gr primacord, but you could use
a cutting torch, or at worst, tie a rope to the top of it, after wetting
the ground around it for a day or two, then seeing if it will simply
pull out of the ground, by pulling it over.

A hacksaw and some GOOD blades might be a good thing, depending on how
much concrete flowed up into the pipe w hen it was installed.

Another question..is it on or off your property line? If its off your
property line, and not yours..seems to be the city's problem..they can
cut if down in very short order. If its inside your property line..why
are the trucks driving on your property?

A shovel and a sledge hammer works fine, but takes a while. If you
cannot come up with the tools such as a hacksaw or cutting torch, try as
I said, wetting the soil well, with a hose trickling on it for a few
days, then pulling it over with a rope tied to the top. Most posts of
this nature are not generally in very deep. If the ground is wet, they
generally topple over like a wind blown tree, roots and all.

Gunner

Re: How to cut metal pole

A pressure washer, or even a hosepipe with a tightly focussed spray nozzle
may be of great use in freeing the concrete base from the ground.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ |  mailto: snipped-for-privacy@i.am |             Ian Stirling.
Re: How to cut metal pole

LOL.  Good point.  Missed that one!

Jim

             please reply to:

Re: How to cut metal pole

It could be on his property but in the city easment for the alley.
Think 'sidewalk' - you can build something over a sidewalk even though
you own the land, same can go for the alley.

Me?  I'd ask one of the trucks to push it over and get the driver to
help me roll it out of the way.  But then I've pulled out bushes from my
front yard with a 4wd and a tow strap, I'm kind of messy that way.

Re: How to cut metal pole
I've read news stories about trash (dumped couches, washers) in the alleyway
and the property owners are responsible for cleanup so the trash trucks can
do their job.  I have a 3' sidewalk right at the curb, but an 8' easement
for utilities (5' past the sidewalk).  That's most of my front yard.
Technically the utility can come in ripup and fix their stuff and leave the
mess, but they usually put things back.

I'll never forget the guy in my front yard who was standing in a 3' deep
hole.  Since it was 105 outside, he looked like a bog monster.

Joel. phx

Our HomeDepo have rent-a-centers.  Must be something in there to hack down a
pole.  I'd go for something gas powered without a muffler,....

That or Harbor Freight has a $14 hand-held grinder you could use.  Not
nearly as impressive.

Re: How to cut metal pole
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:49:26 -0700, "Michael"

Tell the city it's on their property, bring in a backhoe or Hiab and
yank it out.

Re: How to cut metal pole
ahhh, Joel ur absolutely right, i'm slipping.  :)

understood
foot

Re: How to cut metal pole

Make sure you have enough beer, too.

Steve  ;-)

Re: How to cut metal pole
I agree with Jim, If it is not on your property then, and you did not
put it in, then it is not your problem.  If it is on your property, then
it is still not your problem because it's on your property.

Of course this assumes there are no "laws" that are interfering with
common sense.

Vince

P.S.  I also agree with the cutting torch.

Re: How to cut metal pole
Andy,
A cutting torch might work but you might want to check to make sure
the pole is not concrete filled.  When I installed on of these years
ago I filled the pole with concrete, made a real solid instalation but
hard to remove. :-)
Paul

Re: How to cut metal pole
Hell, tell the local scrap guy he can have it if he cuts it down.
I'd use a torch.

--

Ron Thompson
On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast

http://www.plansandprojects.com

work
full
same.

Re: How to cut metal pole

    And if the pole is full of water (as was a flagpole I saw them
trying to cut down when I was in high school), it can take a long time
to cut through, at which point it attempts to put out the torch with a
stream of water.  I would drill two holes -- one where I intended to
cut, and one a little lower, to drain the water below the ring of
cutting, so you don't have this boiling heat sink on the inside of the
pipe.  It seemed to take forever for him to get that hole through, and a
drill motor first, and while it is draining you set up your torch would
probably make more sense.

    Enjoy,
        DoN.
Re: How to cut metal pole