How to fill pitted aluminum for powder coating?

Is there a good way to fill pits (up to .150" diameter) in an aluminum casting (a motorcycle chaincase) so that it can be powder coated? The powder coating process subjects the part to 400 degrees F., so I think plastic fillers would not stand up.

I imagine gas welding would do it, but I don't know that I could do it.

Reply to
Joe Landau

Welding on the cover wouldn't be smart. You'd likely distort it to the point of being useless. Can't offer a better suggestion, but I'd vote welding out.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Powder coating relies on the part being conductive to electrostatically attract the powder prior to baking - the powder may not stick to the surface where there are filled holes. Just a guess - I'm not an expert in this - someone else may know for sure. Are you using a different power coating method??

rob

Reply to
Rob

Static electricity will stick the power on anything. I'd say bondo or such - but how does that react with heat ? - I guess well since the hoods and fenders of cars get rather hot.

But how about power coat melt hot ?

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Rob wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Why not that aluminum brazing filler rod? Conductive too.

Reply to
carl mciver

Joe Landau wrote in news:Xns9797E78696FE6jrlversaformcom@199.45.49.11:

I think I'll try the aluminum brazing (or maybe it's soldering) rod first. A number of people on the net have reported success. Thanks.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Landau

No, it wasn't, as a matter of fact. It was the opportunity to try a new process.

Another time I'd use the lab metal, as it's hard to get the brazing metal to build adequately. But I don't think the effort was wasted.

Joe

wrote in news:yGLXf.50017$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net:

Reply to
Joe Landau