How to fold a bandsaw blade

Here's a short description on YouTube that shows one method of folding a bandsaw blade.

.

Rod

Reply to
chips-'n-swarf

--That's a nice presentation of half the riddle; now if someone would just figure out how to *un*coil a bandsaw blade we'd all be happy. I'm still using the drop-it-on-the-floor-and-run method, heh.

Reply to
steamer

That's not too hard I think. I do it one coil at a time. I grab all the coils firmly with one hand except for one coil which is held by the other hand. Then I slowly untwist that one coil held by the other hand until it's fully free. I repeat doing it with that same coil I've just unwound a few more times until all coils are free. Don't forget to use protective equipment while handling sharp tools.

Reply to
Hunter

"steamer" wrote: (clip) I'm still using the drop-it-on-the-floor-and-run method, heh. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

that will work, but it is advisable to note his instructions about leather gloves and long sleeves. For your technique, a set of welding leathers would be good.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I thought is was good. I do it all the time, but have a heck of a time explainig it to someone else.. I am usually handling 6 foot 14 tpi blades or so, but the glove idea would be real good if I was handling a new 4 TPI blade for my 3 foot-wheel bandsaw, I'll bet.

Pete Stanaitis

-----------------------

chips-'n-swarf wrote:

Reply to
spaco

"Tom Gardner" wrote: I want to know what to do with all the blades I've collected over the years

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If you use Hunter's method of throwing them on the floor, half of them will correct themselves. Use those first, and then throw the rest on the floor again.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Ya gotta git yerself a right-handed bandsaw.... they'll work fine. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Open them up and re-assemble with the teeth pointed the right way. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

A very slow method... I just hold the blade out horizontal one hand on each side. I roll my thumbs inward and cross my hands as the blade is flipped downward. It is all one motion. The step - on method is for very long blades. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Verry good! But I think it didn't go in that plastic baggie. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

I'll take them and run my saw backwards. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Agreed (hands only) Randy!!

Surveyors take their 100 foot tape (actually 101 ft. long, called a chain), coil it into roughly a 3-4 foot diameter circle, and then with arms outstretched do the maneuver that you describe. It takes a beginner 10 to

15 tries to get the hang of it. It's like riding a bicycle. You never forget how.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Put them in storage with the nails that have the heads on the wrong ends, until you need them.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I want to know what to do with all the blades I've collected over the years with the teeth going the wrong way.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

There are other methods???????

Gunner, who recently lost a battle trying to coil a 4T 1 1/4 160" bandsaw blade and resorted to hammering in nails and hanging the bastard, after putting on enough bandaids to entomb King Tut.... This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

I just toss it out on the lawn and watch method.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Tell ya what I'm willing to do, send them to me and I'll fix them for you for only 1 buck each + shipping. ;)

Wes

Reply to
clutch

What is to describe. Grab loop in gloved hand, step on far end, reverse grasp, twist as you lower the mess towards your foot. Done.

Leather gloves, eye protection, long sleeves, trousers are optional until you have done one. Manditory afterwards.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

I'm pretty sure I used to have a windshield sunshade that worked the same way.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

At the risk of being called a nit-picker: the chain is equivalent to:

  • 66 feet (exactly) * 22 yards (exactly) Hence the cricket pitch!! * 4 rods (exactly) * 4 poles (exactly) * 4 perches (exactly)

Also:

  • 10 chains = 1 furlong * 80 chains = 1 mile * 10 square chains = 1 acre

Mike in BC

Reply to
michael gray