How to get rid of 55 gal drums of gas

We are moving my elderly parents out of there house and need to get rid of two 55 gal barrels of gas. Gas is contaminated with water. Location Renton WA.

Anyone wants some gas?

Reply to
toolbreaker

Wouldn't the water sink to the bottom? Ahm thinkin mebbe put a food dye in there, soluble only in the water, so you could see the boundary layer. Then you'd have, theoretically, usable gas.

Or, use salt, and attach an ohmmeter to some long wires, and when they hit the boundary layer, the resistance should drop immediately.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

rescuesite.com/

Thanks but I want to get rid of it. The thought of putting old gas into a car with fuel injectors turns makes me very nervous.

FYI: I have been told there is a paste from fuel supplier that one can smear on a stick that changes color when it contacts water.

Reply to
toolbreaker

Around here I see fairly regular ads in the free section of Craigslist for "fuel oil tank half full". A friend of mine has salvaged fuel oil for his garage heater.

I burn my junk gas in the small tractor. Carburetor, low compression, not mission critical. It even takes the left over 2 cycle gas at the end of the summer (diluted with some clean gas to keep the plugs from getting too cruddy!)

I'd guess that the rema> We are moving my elderly parents out of there house and need to get

Reply to
RoyJ

If I could find someone like you to take the gas that would be great. Plan on stoping at the local feed store and see if they know anyone who wants it,

One option is to break it down into 5 gallon containers and take it to the county hazards waste drop off.

Reply to
toolbreaker

Craigslist, free section. Someone less fussy than you will be happy to take it, drums and all.

"Contaminated with water" is a fiction - every gas tank in the world is "contaminated with water" to some extent. Condensate happens. A filter removes it, as does decanting.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Just let it settle out. That's what the oil company does in those ~4 million gallon tanks. There's a drain at the very bottom called the "water draw" valve. You let the tank sit untouched for a few days, then drain the water off.

Reply to
David Lesher

Using old gas can also gum up valves and rings.

Reply to
rustyjames

Depending on how much water is in it, someone could add some E 85 gasohol. The ethanol will combine with the water and the resultant will mix with the gasolene.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Dan

Hi Dan

I just want to get rid of it. I suspect there isn't a lot of water but we tried it on a lawn mower and it didn't run very well. Barrals are in good conditon and are nearly full but it has been stored for a few years.

BTW you gave me a piece of Ti a few years ago and I recently chucked it up in my new lathe. It cut like butter:-)

Reply to
toolbreaker

There indeed is such a paste. Call an oil tank filling / reclamation company to see what it is... or better yet, to empty out those containers for you.

At least they will recycle it.

Depending on how old it is, it's not really useable as a fuel in most vehicles.

Maybe mixed 10:1 with standard gas it is okay in whatever, but straight, very old gas is baaaaaad news for most modern engines and especially for the EPA stuff.

Don't you know that the 190's cars that got 40 MPG could burn anything and today's efficient cars that take efficient fuel and get the same MPG are not as durable?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Where are you located physically on the planet?

I'll ask in another forum to see if anyone wants 'em.

Also, try Freecycle. Go to groups.yahoo.com and search for Freecycle. Then post a message and see if some yahoo comes and takes it and/or doesn't spill it all over the place.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Disregard this part.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Thanks Joe,

I agree with you about using it in a modern car. Save few bucks and get a $2k repair bill:-(

Reply to
toolbreaker

That is why I said "someone" instead of "you". Why don't you post this in the Seattle Metalheads Yahoo Group? I have moved and am no longer close to you.

Glad to hear that your lathe works well. Ti is similar to Stainless. Cuts well if you get under any work hardening.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Hi Dan

I just want to get rid of it. I suspect there isn't a lot of water but we tried it on a lawn mower and it didn't run very well. Barrals are in good conditon and are nearly full but it has been stored for a few years.

BTW you gave me a piece of Ti a few years ago and I recently chucked it up in my new lathe. It cut like butter:-)

Calif Bill

today.www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Used to use it all the time at the service station. IIRC it had anhydrous copper sulphate in it.

Reply to
clare

Limit 30 gallons of gas and no bigger than 5 gallons at a time.

Make several trips.

(from a friend. I didn't check the link)

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill