Hydraulic hose question

We blew a hose on our backhoe whilst out in the muck... and the machine is now in a state where it will not drive because the digger boom is so far off center that the drive wheel isn't contacting the ground :(

It's now sitting in a bit of a mud patch with a whole lot of kitty litter soaking up hydraulic fluid. (You would be amazed at how fast you can dump fluid when it's being pumped at 3000 psi!)

I got the offending hose loose on one end and the other end's fitting is pretty well stuck into the cylinder and it is awkward/difficult to access to get a real wrench onto it.

I cut off the hose from the stuck fitting and can temporarily slip a replacement hose over it and get it running enough to move the machine to a better working location.

And now my question: I can't get a real crimped connection to the fitting due to space constraints so can I use a couple-three stainless hose clamps to secure the hose onto the barbed fitting to get her out of the field and into the shop or will the hose just blow off the fitting when pressure is applied?

Without trying it I think the hose strength comes from the wire braid and the clamps should work - but has anyone got any empirical evidence that this will or won't work?

Also, if it is a possibility, would the 'wire style with machine bolt' type of hose clamps be better/stronger than the usual stainless strap/worm drive clamps?

Thanks in advance,

Carla

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

Reply to
Carla Fong

I've done this before with SS clamps as a temp fix...I think they are still on there, no problem!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On 02/21/2015 9:35 AM, Carla Fong wrote: ...

If you left a fair amount of length and the hose overfit isn't too big you can almost certainly get it to hold long enough to simply move the boom.

I don't think there's a lick of difference to choose from between the clamps; get either with the hex end so can use a ratchet to get some torque to tighten instead of just a screwdriver. Use a bunch of 'em and gentlest touch on the controls you can manage and I'd expect you'll be ok.

Reply to
dpb

Carla Fong fired this volley in news:ac- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Get a "crimpless" splice fitting. LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Carla, I hope that I understood correctly what your problem is, which is that your hose is leaking and your machine is stuck. If so, then what I do in such situations is, I take out the leaky hose, take it to a nearby hose store, and they make a perfect replacement. It costs money, but by the end you are done and have a great replacement, good for more years than the original hose ever was.

Also, if you go this route, you only do the minimum work that is required.

Ignoramus10075

That's exactly the point/problem she described...with the machine in its present position she wasn't able to get sufficient access to get a recalcitrant fitting at that end off the cylinder.

Reply to
dpb

My only hands-on experience is being sprayed with oil when a band clamp on a return line let go.

This style looks like it could be tightened harder:

A wire rope clamp with the saddle groove opened up to fit the hose better might work.

I helped a friend with the electrical system on his 1947 Harley. A hammer was the proper tool to set the generator output.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

If I was in your position I would buy the type of hose ends that screw into the hose. These are re-usable so you can use the ends on the new hose you make up. You will need two of these hose ends and a coupler to go between them. This option is a little more expensive than the crimp on type of hose end but they can be used again and you will have a much safer temporary fix. If your hose repair blows then you will be spending more money to replace the oil that shoots out than the extra cost of these hose ends. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Should work. Another option would be to remove the pressure line from the opposite side and just pull the boom over with a come along. Should give you room enough ti replace the line.

Reply to
Steve W.