hydraulic motors vs PTO

A friend has a shiny new Kubota 4400 tractor, and we were planning to get a 3-ph PTO generator for it.

But reading further, the Kubota PTO itself is just a hydraulic motor. [So are the drive wheels, for that matter.]

So I am thinking a better scheme is generic generator, driven by a hydraulic motor with quick connects. That way, you just pull up and pop in the lines. Besides not having a driveshaft in the open; the plus is we could drive it off other hydraulic sources he has. These include a Fiat-Allis bulldozer, and similar toys.

Comments?

Reply to
David Lesher

Hydraulic motors are expensive, PTO components are cheap. If you want to go the hydraulic route, get one suitably sized hydraulic motor with PTO shaft output, and use that to drive multiple PTO type accessories. Such motors are available from SurplusCenter and other places.

Reply to
Pete C.

But that defeats the purpose. A PTO driven generator needs a gearbox to go 540->1800 RPM, and that's $$. But looking at SurplusCenter gives me the feeling that my idea won't fly. Too bad; it would have been nice to be able to run it from the dozer as well.

Reply to
David Lesher