I need a 42 tooth gear for Atlas 618

The problem is, they didn't provide such a gear, but I need to cut a

42 TPI thread.

If anyone knows where I may find such a gear, I'd like to know. It's

14 1/2 PA, 24 DP, 3/8" face and 1/2" with double 1/8" keyway hub.

Thanks, Bruno

Reply to
Bruno

did you try your local gear supplier... or Martin gear, Boston gear, or some other suppliers. you can make the hole to what you want and buy a broach and cut the keyway for what it would cost to have it done.

John

Reply to
john

Tool_Magic on ebay will make one for you. Their email is: snipped-for-privacy@XXXXearthlink.net Remove the X's......Paul

Reply to
PJ

Checked their websites, but could not really get an answer. And it's Sunday so I can't call today.

-Bruno

Reply to
Bruno

Sent off an email earlier today. Have not heard back yet.

-Bruno

Reply to
Bruno

Stock Drive Products

has one that's close. PN is A 1C 1-N24042, $14.96. It's 1/4" wide and would need the keyways broached....Paul

Reply to
PJ

Martin gear comes close to what you want PN S2442 except that it has a

1/4 inxh tooth width The unfinished bore diameter is 3/8 inch, and can be bored to 11/16 inch The outside diameter of that gear is 1.883 inches It also has a hub of 1 and 1/4 inches and a projection of 3/8 inch which you could machine off if it was necessary.

John

Reply to
john

Can't you find a 21 toth gear? Pete

Reply to
3t3d

I just got a combination for doing the 42 TPI thread using the gears I have. The thread charts provided with the lathes are not complete by any means.

-Bruno

Bruno wrote:

Reply to
Bruno

It seems that incomplete threading charts are common for many lathes. That's where the spindle hand crank and dial indicator technique becomes very handy.

There are a few bright individuals that have taken all the gear tooth counts and used spreadsheets or other programs to calculate all the possible combinations of thread pitches. By searching around some of the lathe groups, one might be able to locate finished charts. Otherwise, asking here in RCM may be most helpful (thanks Ted). There is a chart in the dropbox for the China 9x20 lathes equipped with QCG boxes.

Reply to
Wild Bill