inexpensive bandsaw blade welder?

Threaded View
Howdy...I've got a half-dozen 1/8th to 1/2 inch broken band saw blades for
my itty bitty three wheel Grizzly G8976  62 inch bandsaw.  The model has
been removed from the current Grizzly list.   I break the blades with great
regularity.. I mostly saw soft pine and rarely use the machine. However, it
is a savior for some jobs, like the odd dimensioned & angled TV cabinet
shelf that I am working on now.

Due to the odd size of the blades, I wind up paying about ten bucks for each
one, and they never last.  Is there an inexpensive way to weld these things
back together? I've kept the broken ones.  Maybe welding five or six blades
back together will help pay for the equipment.  I've done a little web
searching and most of the blade welder units are $150.00 or up.

I've seen small $89.00/$100.00  110 v plug-in welders at Harbor Freight.
Will any of those units do the job, and maybe allow for some additional fun
projects?  Obviously, I am not interested in making a business of this, nor
of doing anything on large size metal.

As you can already tell, I know NOTHING about welding.
thanks, Rich

Re: inexpensive bandsaw blade welder?

As an alternative, you can silver braze the joints.  A number of the
woodworking supply outfits supply a kit which consists of a
rudimentary jig, flux and filler.  Usually under $20.  Of you can hunt
up some aluminum angle and bulldog paper clips and make your own.  In
either case, supplying the torch is up to you.  With proper filler
choice, a propane torch could do the job.  A bench grinder is also
needed to skive the joint properly.  Google for the kits.

A blade welder is pretty much limited to welding blades and really
thin strap.  Not a really wide-application tool.  You CAN get
continuous blade stock in configurations that aren't available in pre-
welded sizes, that's what it's really good for.  110v blade welders
are pretty limited in what they can handle, carefully look at the
specs.  I've seen one of the 110v HF jobbies in the store, it didn't
go home with me.  You can't see how they're made from just looking at
a picture.

If you keep busting blades, you might want to consider thinner blade
stock.  A three-wheeler bends the blade a lot more than a conventional
two-wheel saw of the same throat dimensions, one of the trade-offs.  A
thinner blade can flex through a lot tighter curve.  If you're not
using a brand name blade, you might consider Lenox or Starrett.  These
generally outlast no-name chink tomato-can blades by a large factor.

Stan

Re: inexpensive bandsaw blade welder?

That is the curse of 3 wheel band saws, the small radius of the wheels
flexes the blade too much and breaks them.  Try to get thinner blades
if you can. Or get a bigger bandsaw. :-) Welding the ones you have
will only break again, SOON.
    ...lew...

Re: inexpensive bandsaw blade welder?
Is this the sort of thing that I need?   Sorry if I shouldn't be posting
Ebay stuff., but it isn't mine ( obviously)  Rich

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-OzT-45-Silver-Solder-Bandsaw-Braze-Kit-Cheap_W0QQitemZ4428754998QQihZ001QQcategoryZ46413QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Re: inexpensive bandsaw blade welder?

I've bought from the gent before.  He answers questions before and
after the sale.

Wes

Re: inexpensive bandsaw blade welder?
Oh yes...would a propane torch or a Mapp torch be hot enough for that silver
solder kit?  I have both...Rich

Re: inexpensive bandsaw blade welder?

"RichG" wrote: Oh yes...would a propane torch or a Mapp torch be hot enough
for that silver  solder kit?  I have both...Rich
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm sure Mapp would do it, and I'm pretty sure of propane.  However, be sure
to note that the kit does not include the clamp that holds the ends in
alignment, or a means of skiving (I think it's called) the blade ends.
You're buying some solder and flux.

Re: inexpensive bandsaw blade welder?
OK  Sounds like I am going after the  right kind of material..

I'm checking with Northern Tool and Harbor freight to see if either stocks
it...

re the "skiving" tool...it sounds like a couple of clamps bolted to a piece
of metal???  Rich

Re: inexpensive bandsaw blade welder?

"RichG" wrote:  (clip) re the "skiving" tool...it sounds like a couple of
clamps bolted to a piece  of metal???
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
An electric blade welder makes a butt weld, and a little cleanup on the
sides produces the kind of joint you generally get on a new blade.
"Skiving" produces two long matching tapers on the blade ends, which then
have to be overlapped in alignment for soldering.  If you don't get this
exactly right, especially with a three-wheel saw, the joint will have
trouble going around the radius of the wheels.  I can easilly imagine a
silver soldered joint where the combination of two layers of steel and a
little solder end up being stiffer than the rest of the blade.

Re: inexpensive bandsaw blade welder?
So...Leo  are you recommending an electric blade welder?  And if so..any
ideas as to source?, manufacturer? price  ?  etc. ?  thanks very much  Rich

Re: inexpensive bandsaw blade welder?
Hi Rich,
I work with steel, where blades are expensive and do snap on occasion.  Most
good bandsaws have a blade welder built in to the saw, but thats really only
for vertical bandsaws....  horizontal ones rarely have them.  While many
people say that silver soldering is the way to go, the common practice in
many shops i have worked in is simply to mig weld them, and people are none
too concerned about precision!  you will need to cut the two ends at a
daigonal rather than meeting them at 90 degrees, then simply 'tack' weld
them with a series of spots.  youll need to get your heat pretty right.
after that, a quick buff up with a flap disk will see you good.  someone who
knew what they were doing could probably weld and buff 5 broken blades in
about 15 minutes.

Shaun

Re: inexpensive bandsaw blade welder?
Check this link for a brazing kit.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=4491

--
Bruce

E-mail :   snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Re: inexpensive bandsaw blade welder?
Thanks for the LINK.

After reading some of the wise advice on this site.... I decided that the
three wheel Bandsaw was causing most of the problem.     I donated it to a
local charity thrift store ( I hope the new owner has a welder).

I bought a Delta home 9 inch Bandsaw this afternoon, on sale at Lowes for
$79.00!. At least the two wheel arrangement shouldn't  cause as many blades
to break. My band saw needs are very limited, but it is the only tool that
will do certain jobs, IMHO.

I am still thinking about trying to weld or silver solder some of the left
over broken blades that I have. The new rig uses 59 1/2 inch. The broken
ones are all 62 inch, so maybe I can make lemonade out of lemons yet.

Thanks for all the help and good advice here.. Rich

Site Timeline