information

Trying to find info as I just brought Toolex SW-900B Metal Lathe and Im looking on the internet on how to use etc. I just want to use it up the shed on home jobsetc Can anybody help with books or other info

Tony

Reply to
tony miller

Hi Tony,,,

Just bought a new bench-topper myself and googled up these two bits of usefull instruction. Have a good time and if I may offer any advise it would be to LOOK Everywhere (all the time) when setting up for a cut, etc. ie, while concentrating on the cutting tool placement and measurements don't forget to notice if the cross bar is up against the chip guard... Like I did. :) Best to you... Kendall

kenrownd

Hey Ken and Tony,

Around this newsgroup the standard answer fist given is to grab a re-print copy of the South Bend lathe issue: "How To Run A Lathe" printed way back in about the 1930's or so, but still a very useful booklet. Do a Google search.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

=============== Welcome to the world of machining.

You will find that the old books/publications are of more use to the home/hobby machinist. The newer texts stress CNC and high speed/power/rigidity machines.

A gold mine of the older texts and reprints is Lindsay books.

One of the best introductions is "Machine Shop Methods" by Milnie as he surveys not only lathe work but general machining.
specific books
For a slightly more expensive but newer lathe book see
also has a companion turret mill [like a Bridgeport] book
also see
other books

Unka' George [George McDuffee] ============ Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.

F. George McDuffee

According to tony miller :

Aside from the good advice which you have already received, let me suggest that you *always* take off rings and wristwatches (or other things around the wrist) *before ever switching it on. The presence of either when using any power tool can turn what could be a minor cut or bruise into a really serious injury.

I move both my wedding ring and my wristwatch onto a carabiner clip on my belt as I pass though the door into my shop.

Also -- *don't* run power tools while wearing gloves for the same reasons.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols