Installation of Siex X3 power feed

I got my toy from Lathemaster Monday. I installed it today, and here's my observations:

If you can't find the instruction manual, don't sweat it, This is straightforward.

Leave the left end piece on the table, the power feed attaches directly to it. The domed cap over the end of the leadscrew is plastic. It popped off nicely. You may take off the end piece and use a dowel or round stock to pop it off/ YMMV.

The motor and gearhead are attached to a 1/2 inch steel plate. You do not have to remove the gearhead/motor. There are four phillips head screws holding the sheetmetal body onto the plate, two front, two back. Remove them. Now the plate/gearhead/motor can be removed. The wires are long enough to place the sheetmetal body on the workbench.

If the plate fits tightly in the sheetmetal body, remove the sheetmetal plate at the other end of the power feed [four small phillips screws] and expose the other end of the motor [notice the electronics attached to the plate]. Now press on the end of the motor and the plate will come out.

On my X3, the two locating pins on the end piece stuck out too far and prevented the plate from fitting flush with the end piece. I unscrewed the four socket head screws, dropped the gearhead/motor off the plate, and used a center drill to make two reliefs.

The gearhead/motor needs to be attached to the plate. Take the plate/gearhead/motor, and wheedle it into the well on the end piece. Now install the two M6x20 1.0 pitch socket screws to attach it to the end piece.

Pick up the sheetmetal body and slide it over the plate. Install screws. If you took off the sheetmetal plate, slide it back in, install screws.

If you loved the safety switch on the X3, you'll love the power feed. There are three controls, the direction lever, the speed rheostat, and the quick feed button.

This is how it works. Resistance is futile...

To start the feed, the speed rheostat needs to be off. Select the direction with the lever. Now use the speed switch to start and stop the feed. The speed feed is used while the feed is running. Surprise...

Trying to change the direction while running will trigger a fault. Trying to start with the speed on will cause a fault. To clear a fault, turn the speed off. Rotate the direction lever to the right. You will go past the regular direction limit, over a detent, and end up at about 30 degrees below the normal right limit. This resets the switch. You will notice the detent, and there is a positive stop when clearing a fault. Return the direction lever bac into the normal limit range.

Working on the limit switches. The circular wells at the end of the table are 16mm, while the limit switch "t-nuts" are 18mm in diameter. A bit of lathework... The limit switch itself has some cheap screws sticking out of the body to actuate the lever switches inside. I'll figure out a better looking actuator eventually.

Reply to
Louis Ohland

oops, it's Sieg.

Reply to