Is it safe to use a propane torch with map gases?

I'm working on pinhole leak on a brass Chevy radiator. I have a propane torch and a bottle of map gas. The torch fits right onto the bottle and seems to work just fine. Is it safe to use a propane torch on a bottle of map gas?

Thanks

Reply to
Tim Zimmerman

Certainly not in your case. UC Berkeley, and you can't spell MAPP?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I've done soldering with a propane torch and MAPP without any bad results.. you don't get as much heat from it as you would if the MAPP were used with a torch intended for MAPP. A MAPP flame could be/probably is excessive for a radiator repair.

The typical pinpoint flame from a propane torch isn't ideal for radiator soldering though. The flame can be softened/feathered (cooler flame) by forming a sleeve to partially cover the air holes. I made one from sheetmetal that was rolled to a diameter slightly smaller than the propane torch so it would stay in place, and had a long tab hanging out for a cooler place to manipulate the sleeve.

WB .............

Reply to
Wild Bill

propane

bottle

It probably isn't going to hurt, but you won't get the temperature that a MAPP-only or MAPP/propane burner will reach. If your torch was made in the last few years, it might be a MAPP/propane unit. If it's one of the old '50s-style Bernzomatics, dump it and get another heat source. The newer style "turbo" units are head and shoulders above those old torch heads, even with propane.

Usually direct flame ISN'T the way to do soldering on a project as you describe, an old-style soldering copper works better. If you don't have one of those, one of those clamp-on soldering tips will work. You want pinpoint heat, not something that's going to heat up the whole radiator and maybe loosen some joints.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

UC Berkeley is best known for two things married to three letter acronyms so he gets a pass-- BSD and LSD

Rob (U of I) a long,long, time ago....

Reply to
RDF

Reply to
David Billington

Turns out that all I need is a simple hand-held butane pencil torch and a 50-watt soldering iron.

Absolutely right about the excessive heat from the MAPP/propane unit. I can almost literally see my radiator go up in smoke. Not only that, the solder refuses to cling onto the vertical surface even after sanding and applying some cleaners.

Thanks

Reply to
Tim Zimmerman

No valentines, huh ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In a word Yes. Torches like that are a bit tricky. Do you only have a single gas input - e.g. you have a plumbing propane torch - The MAPP might be a bit to smoky as it normally wants oxygen blend to burn very hot. They make two gas torches - oxygen and propane or oxygen and MAPP. That is the best rig for this.

Martin [who has such a rig and does it both ways as needed ]

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:55:39 GMT, the inscrutable "Tim Zimmerman" spake:

Did you preheat with the iron and solder with the torch?

Got neutralizers and flux? ;)

---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nope. The pencil torch is used to pre heat the surface. Then the

50-watt soldering iron is used to collect the radiator solder core and then applied to the preheated surface. This turns out to be successful, unlike my other method below.

I use liquid flux. But in order for the surface to melt the pretty high- temperature solder core, I nearly had to burn down the radiator before the solder will flow onto the vertical surface. Each time I applied the solder (with a little silver) it'll crumble and fall apart.

Reply to
Tim Zimmerman