Is there a Heatless alternative to repairing metal?

Threaded View
Hey guys (and that one really butch woman over in the corner),

I've got a new truck and the metal powersteering fluid resevior has a
leak...  Not where the hose attaches, but the small metal nipple that
the hose attaches to... the fluid seeps around the original connection
point.

Now... I know I could remove the belts, then the pump, then
disassemble the pump, clean it well inside and out and then braze it,
but there MUST be a way to repair it and make it leak proof without
spending HOURS on it?

JB weld?  some sort of epoxy?  I can clean the bad area with acetone
so it'll be clean, but what holds up to the fluid?

Thanks!

james, Seattle

Re: Is there a Heatless alternative to repairing metal?
They make a gas tank sealer that is a 2 part stick form that is for sealing
gas tanks.  Should work for an oil reservoir if it is not heat sensitive.
lg
no neat sig line

Re: Is there a Heatless alternative to repairing metal?
Have you tried teflon tape around that 'small metal nipple'?

Lewis.

*****************

Re: Is there a Heatless alternative to repairing metal?

That nipple is a press fit with a dab of sealer. You could remove it, re-
flair it slightly, re-apply the sealer and re-press.

--
Anthony

Re: Is there a Heatless alternative to repairing metal?

To be able to get any sort of sealer/glue/etc to adhere decent you are
going to have to drain it and clean it really well anyways....

JW

Re: Is there a Heatless alternative to repairing metal?

I think not.  Sorry.

Re: Is there a Heatless alternative to repairing metal?

I think you can seal it with JB weld, Jim. Whatcha got to lose?
Drain the fluid down to below the nipple, Clean around it really well with MEK
or Acetone (I prefer MEK) and apply 2 or 3 thin layers. letting each layer firm
up before applying next layer. Make the layers about 1/16 thick.
I have sealed a cracked engine block and a gas tank this way. Were still
holding when I traded cars.

Hope this helps.
Warren

Re: Is there a Heatless alternative to repairing metal?

MEK is evil stuff.  It will clean anything really well, but have you
ever read the MSDS for it?  No thanks.  I'll work with something else.

JW

Re: Is there a Heatless alternative to repairing metal?
Clean with strong paint thinner...
Let dry....
Put a few drops of red lock tight on the leak ....
Let dry....

Works great...

Site Timeline