Is there a Heatless alternative to repairing metal?

Hey guys (and that one really butch woman over in the corner),
I've got a new truck and the metal powersteering fluid resevior has a leak... Not where the hose attaches, but the small metal nipple that the hose attaches to... the fluid seeps around the original connection point.
Now... I know I could remove the belts, then the pump, then disassemble the pump, clean it well inside and out and then braze it, but there MUST be a way to repair it and make it leak proof without spending HOURS on it?
JB weld? some sort of epoxy? I can clean the bad area with acetone so it'll be clean, but what holds up to the fluid?
Thanks!
james, Seattle

They make a gas tank sealer that is a 2 part stick form that is for sealing gas tanks. Should work for an oil reservoir if it is not heat sensitive. lg no neat sig line

Have you tried teflon tape around that 'small metal nipple'?
Lewis.
*****************

That nipple is a press fit with a dab of sealer. You could remove it, re- flair it slightly, re-apply the sealer and re-press.
--
Anthony

To be able to get any sort of sealer/glue/etc to adhere decent you are going to have to drain it and clean it really well anyways....
JW

RainLover wrote:

I think not. Sorry.

I think you can seal it with JB weld, Jim. Whatcha got to lose? Drain the fluid down to below the nipple, Clean around it really well with MEK or Acetone (I prefer MEK) and apply 2 or 3 thin layers. letting each layer firm up before applying next layer. Make the layers about 1/16 thick. I have sealed a cracked engine block and a gas tank this way. Were still holding when I traded cars.
Hope this helps. Warren

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comNS (Whunicut) wrote in message

MEK is evil stuff. It will clean anything really well, but have you ever read the MSDS for it? No thanks. I'll work with something else.
JW

Clean with strong paint thinner... Let dry.... Put a few drops of red lock tight on the leak .... Let dry....
Works great...

Related Threads