Is there any value in old steel welding rod

I have about 200 lbs of old welding rod, such as 7024, 6010, 6011 etc. (no 7018)

I do not care for it and wonder if I should just scrap it, or perhaps someone will want this stuff for, say, $30. Do people prefer to just buy new welding rod>? Or should I just dump that crap and move on to better things? Is there any hope of selling?

Ignoramus30787

The only folks that want old (cheap) rod are the hobbist types. No shop would (should) get caught using it, not worth the risk. But most of the old rod tends to be the weird rod that hobbists can use. Too big, flaking coating, odd grades. Just try and run some 3/16" 6010 on a simple project!

Nickel a pound at the scrap yard, $.15 a pound on craigslist.

Reply to
RoyJ

They make extremely good tree limb spreaders for apple, peach, and cherry trees. I have buckets full of them cut at a 45 angle on each end with a bolt biter to get a nice point.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I gave the community college a bunch of welding rod.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I listed it for $25 three hours ago, so far, no takers, if this continues, it goes to a scrap yard or trash.

Ignoramus30787

Post it for FREE, and it will be gone in 5 minutes.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Gunner Asch on Sun, 04 Sep 2011 22:30:32 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

What and where did he list it as? "Tools"? Welding Stuff for sale" under the "general" heading?

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

It is almost true, except that a lot of those free guys are extremely disorganized, unreliable, forgetful etc. Giving stuff for free could be a hassle, like my "pallet artist" story from a while ago.

Ignoramus9375

Well, I gave it away, kept a bit of 7024 for myself. That was a "great auction deal" pallet, from which I sold expensive nickel stuff, and this steel junk is just the remnants. I would rather buy new welding rod myself for anything serious. Plus, I only use 6013 and 7018.

Ignoramus9375