Is this a WIDE LOAD trailer

I just bought this trailer in an auction. It is a double drop deck and has a hydraulic beavertail.

Pictures are here:

My question is, does this trailer look like it is extra wide and needs wide load permit just to move it to my place?

I will honestly admit that I bought it sight unseen.

Ignoramus11660

if you can't get the side racks to either pull in or flip up or come off and sit on the bed, probably. They are normally made so that one oof those can be done so the thing is easier to move empty.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

No, those pictures are well under the road width, Ig. :/ Once you get it, measure it and let us know. In the interim, ask the seller?

Must have been a dead-low price.

-- Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. -- Jimi Hendrix

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A quick shot with google shows the CALTRANS site says over 8'6" wide requires signage and maybe a pilot car. Probably every state will have their own ideas, I'd check with the local DMV or equivalent. Violations could be spendy.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

Interstate and truck routes nationwide are supposed to allow 8'6" regardless of local road restrictions. Many states only allow 8' on local roads though.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Like my bay boat and trailer. Boy, that's a pain in the ass on a narrow country road. I envision keeping the center console next to me over the center of the lane, then constant mirror checks show if I'm keeping the trailer wheels on pavement or not. Next time I get or build a boat, it's going to be skinny, maybe an Atkin Rescue Minor.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Man, the stuff you're dealing with just keeps getting bigger 'n bigger!

Say, is that a Vizsla in this picture?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Those side rails are supposed to slide in so the trailer is normal width, then you slide them out and toss some lumber on the rails for the wider stuff.

Reply to
Steve W.

I gotta agree with you. THanks a lot.

Ignoramus11660

I think that it is not a Landoll. I think that it is a Trailking Custom HT with slide out outriggers for wide stuff.

Compare:

I just bought this trailer in an auction. It is a double drop deck and

Reply to
Ignoramus16440

Either way you probably won't be able to use it without a portable hydraulic power unit unless your tractor has a wet line system.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yep, this is the gotcha. Either put something together, like a hydraulic power unit, or spend $$$ on a wet kit.

I have a 5HP Honda engine. Also some Sauer Danfoss hydraulic pumps, kind of small though. Some food for thought.

Ignoramus16440

The easy way would be to grab a 12 volt power unit and install that on the trailer with a battery. Then all you need is a charging circuit (should already be on the tractor side socket) Just hope that it has manual legs and not hydraulics, otherwise you may not even be able to move it.

Reply to
Steve W.

I can see the cylinder and the hoses, but where are the control valves? The legs in front seem to have pins locking them in place. Is this normal? No crank, etc.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Some guy told me how to do it, he said hook it to the truck, loosen hydraulic lines, and jack up the legs with a jack.

What if the trailer has not passed a recent safety inspection, can I tow it empty for 180 miles to my place? i

Reply to
Ignoramus16440

They are hydraulic, I think, a few levers on the front left.

Ignoramus16440

OK, I have another question. Renting a semi (I have a CDL driver who can drive it) seems to be a pita. They asked me for three years of balance sheets, which I do not even produce, since I own the company

100% and never borrow money, so I do not bother.

What sort of companies (what are they called) should I call about having this trailer moved? I see trailers being stacked and moved all the time.

Ignoramus16440

How can you run a company without any accounting? Wait till you get into the HUT and IFTA paperwork, and the tax paperwork. As the song says "you ain't seen nothin' yet"

Well for a one time haul the easy solution would be to have an owner operator move it for you. Talk to the companies in the area that move tractors/ big trucks and the like. They might be able to help.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yep, There should be a bleeder for that purpose but don't expect to move it easily. Usually you can couple the hydraulics, then with it coupled up actuate the valve for the legs and jack them up. The fluid will just circulate through the system. Then disconnect the lines and the legs will stay up.

You need to get a temporary tag for it. Just like you would for any vehicle. Then you check it over and while the temp tag is good you get it inspected. Tow it without the temp tag and I hope you are REALLY lucky.

Reply to
Steve W.

Usually you can couple the hydraulic lines, pull one pin, jack up the leg while holding the valve open then put the pin back in. Then do the other side.

Get a temp tag for it and get it towed back. You could probably get the company that has it to move it for you. Looks like they used it a lot. If they won't tow it for you (for a reasonable price) the only other option would be finding either an OO who can move it or hire a towing outfit.

Reply to
Steve W.