Jacobs Chuck Removal - What is plan B??

I'm trying to remove a 1/2" Jacobs chuck from a Milwaukee D handle right angle drill. Milwaukee says to remove the 90 degree adapter w/ chuck, secure the nut behind the chuck, remove the reverse threaded screw, insert largest allen wrench into chuck and whack the hell out of it in the CCW direction. (jacobschuck.com says the same exact thing)

This thing won't budge despite the whacks and I'm 100% certain I'm doing it correctly. What is plan B when you have a stubborn chuck? (penetrants, heat, alternating heat and cold, etc). I can't use too much heat because right behind the chuck is a sealed bearing in the 90 degree elbow gear case.

If I do get this thing broken free should I use antiseeze compound to prevent this from happening again?

Bud wrote:

Do you have an impact wrench & a socket small enough to fit the largest hex stock that the chuck will hold?

Bob

Bud wrote:

This is what I've always done, but I recently read (in a Milwaukee Owner's Manual, I think) to put the key in one of its holes & hit it. I like this much better as the shock is directly to the chuck body, rather than through the jaws.

Bob

Bud wrote:

I have used a soft faced hammer (urethane face) to remove these chucks, often without a wrench on the shank.

Done by striking a glancing blow, on the side that results in unscrewing the chuck off the mandrel.

Do whatever you have to, to secure the shank or mandrel in a vise, then put the biggest hex key or stock that you can, into the chuck (1/2 inch) and get a wrench onto it. An impact would work. A little heat might help, as dried old oil may have varnished it in place.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Thanks, it finally broke free. I used a 1/2" socket with an allen wrench stub and an impact gun. I set the gun to the max. torque setting and it still wouldn't break free. Finally I gave it some heat trying to keep from burning up the rubber bearing seal. That did the job!!

I think I'll use some anti-seeze compound in the future. This model drill can be converted from straight drive to right angle drive. I hate to fight the chuck removal each time I do a changeover.

Buy a second chuck, keep one on the right angle drive, then you only have to remove the one.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.