jones and shipman pillar drill

hi ,

I'm thinking of buying a jones and shipman pillar drill . The owner says its really old ,i've searched google and got no pictures .

Can anyone here send me one ?

thanks alot, John

Reply to
jdungan100

Here's a picture of a J & S pillar drill at a local machinery dealer:

I don't know if it's the same model, but it's a starting point.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I sure hope the one John is looking at is in better condition!

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Thanks for that .

He said it was really old , but still work , with a belt from the bottom to the top . Can't see in that picture if it the same .

Do you think 300 euro's would be an o.k price to pay ?

John

Reply to
jdungan100

I didn't think that one was too bad actually. I had wondered about buying it, but didn't in the end. There might be a few holes in the table, which is annoying, but apart from that it looks okay. I've bought stuff from Redhouse before and the proprietor is sound. He's not a con man.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I don't think it's the same model. The one in the picture has a motor with a vertical shaft and a belt drive across the top. I did find a picture of a drill with a belt from bottom to top, but the site says "bandwidth exceeded". You can still see a small picture here:

It sounds like it's a historic machine, probably dating from the 1920s or '30s. 300 Euros would normally be a bit on the high side for an ordinary pillar drill (Redhouse wanted £90 for the more modern one I showed you), but for a historic machine in good working order it's probably a fair price. Check that there's no slack in the bearings, cracked castings, or many holes in the drill table. A drill table which looks like a cheese is a sign of heavy use by careless operators.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy