Just bought a Drill Press

I bought it locally at our local Harbor Freight store, it was on sale for $135 instead of $299.

I know that it is not a benchtop model, as I asked, but I figured, it is better to buy a $135 floor model than pay $79 plus shipping for some benchtop model. The $79 on sale 12 speed benchtop model was not available at our local HF store.

Info from the website:

All-purpose drill press for the home or shop. Heavy duty ball bearing motor with 16 speeds, adjustable stop and gauge. Includes oiler.

  • Motor: 1 HP * Volts: 120 * Amps: 12 * Speeds: 200, 290, 350, 430, 500, 580, 640, 720, 800, 870, 1440,
1630, 2380, 2540, 3600 RPM * Table: 13-3/4'' diameter * Spindle taper: MT 2 * Spindle stroke: 2-3/4'' * Chuck capacity: 1/8"-5/8'' * Swing: 17" * Overall height: 64-7/8'' * Base size: 20-1/4'' x 13-1/2'' * Column diameter: 3-5/32'' * Shipping weight: 192 lbs. i
Reply to
Ignoramus26330

Congratulations! Thats a real drill press.

Now there are two more things you NEED.

A drill press vise, and a much smaller chuck.

(and a small v-block and some center drills..)

The vise is self evident, but the smaller chuck is gonna be a requirement sooner or later. If you will note..your new chuck will only hold at its smallest, a 1/8" drill bit. The jaws will not close far enough for smaller drill bits.

Id suggest a MT 2 1/4" drill chuck. They are common as dirt and not particularly desireable so they can be had for little money. Ebay is your friend here.

This one is a 3/8, which might suit your purposes well.

If I have a spare after the Visalia show..I might be able to send you one.

Btw..I got your template today, and will start on your exhaust adapter sometime tommorow. I still need to know what size flex you are going to be using.

Gunner

Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are so stupid it is easy work." Steven M. Barry

Reply to
Gunner

for about 5 bucks, at the same HarborFright store you can pick up a set of hex shank drill bits, that include drill bits as small as 1/16th

HTH Dale

Reply to
dalecue

Thanks.

I got a vise also, with some "feed" features. It cost $39 at HF.

Yep...

Thanks, will buy it right now.

Oh, I do not know. The diameter of the muffler's split end is

39mm ID 41.4mm OD

I want to use whatever flex pipe that fits this muffler and is widely available. Is there some more data that you need?

Ignoramus32242
[ ... ]

[ ... ]

I've never seen those in anything but the fractional sizes, and I use number-sized drills more often than fractional sized ones. (Most tap drills are number sizes, until you get up above 1/4" taps, at least.)

And in particular, a #60 drill bit would be difficult to hold in the larger chuck.

Though an alternative, and useful for some things, are the "sensitive drill chuck" assemblies. 1/2" shank, smaller drill chuck (3/16" or 1/8") with a ball-bearing mounted ring and a spring-loaded slide to allow you to feed it gently by hand. (Though for the really small drill bits (certainly those below #60) I use a sensitive drill press (Cameron Precision) all the way down to #80. That one has a 1/8" Alrecht chuck, and is lovely for holding those tiny drill bits.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I am pretty upset. Instead of that 16 speed 1 HP drill press, they sold me some other drill press that has a 1/3HP motor and gets stuck drilling with like 5/16 drill bit. I asked the stupid clerk, are you sure they brought out the right box, should I check, she said she was sure. Fuck.

Fortunately, they charged me for what they actually sold. So, hopefully, I can return that press. I will make the part I want with it, and will return it.

i disappointed

Reply to
Ignoramus7068