Klingon Bat'leth

Hello,

I'm a complete novice when it comes to any sort of metalworking or metallurgy, so I'm seeking out some advice. I'm looking to have a Klingon Bat'leth made, one that is extremely durable, strong, long lasting, and can hold an edge well. I'm wanting this blade to be completely useable, for chopping, combat, etc, and I'm not sure of which material would be best for this. I want this blade to be as strong as possible, so it will last me for the rest of my life. Thanks!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Kowalski

Use 3/16" thick 5160.

5160 is the best sword steel around, and is used for both real swords and stage combat swords.

It is also used in car leaf springs, but for what you are doing you will want to buy it in sheet form so you can have the pattern cut from it.

My recommendation is to have the pattern cut by a local laser, plasma or water-jet shop. Then all you have to do is grind the edges and have it heat treated. Once you get it back from heat treat you can add the handles.

If you need patterns, I already have them in my computer in CAD format. I can email them to you, just tell me what format you want them in.

A friend made a set for stage combat using my shop.

I believe you can get the steel from many dealers, just do a google search on 5160.

BTW the Bat'leth design really sucks as far as a usable weapon.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Is anyone else astounded at the depth of knowledge and and helpfulness of this group? Someone asks about materials for a Klingon weapon and 20 minutes later they get complete advice and an offer of CAD tapes.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:42:40 -0800, Jim Stewart wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

Actually it worries me that there are people who want, and people that can supply, such a beast at such short notice....

****************************************************************************************** Whenever you have to prove to yourself that you are not something, you probably are.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!

Reply to
Old Nick

440 stainless. A Bat'leth is a lousy weapon, so go for a steel that offers a shiny surface surface, more than a really good edge. If you use 440C (quite a respectable knife-making steel) or even 420 then it will deliver all the edge that a Bat'leth style is capable of making use of.

If you're going to make a machete or a sword, then I'd agree with Ernie and go for 5160.

And read the rec.knives "steels" FAQ.

Andy Dingley

Not astounded - yawn. We could run this planet if those in power asked us to (and then only if we thought it was worth bothering with).

BFG. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Wouldn't a phaser be more effective?

Beam me up scotty!

Reply to
Tony

Andy Dingley scribed in :

just buy one

interview with the designer
says he designed it as a useful weapon based on tai-chi and other marshal arts methodologies. I guess if you try to use it as a knife you'll fail, but with proper training I guess it might be useful. Around here, it'll just scare the shit out of everyone who sees you with it and the nearest policeman will shoot at you (even if you were fending off a mugging) and arrest you for endangering the public, or something equally silly.

swarf, steam and wind

-- David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\

\ / ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML E-Mail > - - - - - - -> X If you receive email saying "Send this to everyone you know," / \ PLEASE pretend you don't know me.

Reply to
DejaVU

Tony scribed in :

I'd prefer one of the laser hand torches described in the Ringworld series. focus and strength adjust mean you can use it as a torch, or to cook food, or cut nearly anything, or as a weapon. must go through Duracells like mad though...

swarf, steam and wind

-- David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\

\ / ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML E-Mail > - - - - - - -> X If you receive email saying "Send this to everyone you know," / \ PLEASE pretend you don't know me.

Reply to
DejaVU

Some of those trekkies are really committed (or should be) :

"His personal life in tatters, Tony Alleyne found salvation by remodelling his flat after the starship Enterprise. Star Trek saved Tony Alleyne's life. Seriously, it did. When Alleyne's wife, Georgina, left him for another Earthling in 1994, he was distraught, depressed, disheartened and more than a little demoralised. But, rather than wallowing in the depths of despair, Alleyne diverted his energy into refurbishing his cramped one-bedroom flat - into the "ultimate Star Trek experience". ..."

Reply to
PR

. . ALWAYS astounded!!! Both by the good AND the bad info! So be choosy.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I've got a variant of the design hanging over my bed. Makes a very nice wall decoration.

Mine is usable for exercise/practice, but I wouldn't use it for real if there was anything better around. It was made in Pakistan, and it's about the same quality as those "Toledo" swords that Pier 1 used to sell. A good Louiville Slugger makes a better self-defense tool.

As for the usefulness of the Bet'leth design as a weapon, I think it has some good points and fewer bad points than I expected...no puns intended. :^) You can block, trap, deflect, chop, stab, pin, and use it with either, or both, hands. Switching grips isn't hard with some practice, and the change could take someone by surprise who isn't familiar with the weapon...sort of like with a quarterstaff. They'd also wonder where to grab mine to try to take it away...mine isn't like the ones on the TV show...it has more edges and points, along both the inside and outside sections. Only about three safe places to hold it by.

Now, who's got a good set of plans for a phaser pistol? :^)

-- Mike Bartman

-- Mike B.

'04 FLSTCI

---------------------------------------------------------------- To reply via e-mail, remove the 'foolie.' from the address. I'm getting sick of all the SPAM...

Mike Bartman

I'd rather have a light saber. "Not as clumsy or random as a blaster." "It's an elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

Reply to
skuke

All you need is a hollow bamboo tube, some cloth for the fuse (good thing Star Fleet doesn't issue fireproof clothing like the short-sighted Air Force does) some coal, sulphur, pottassium nitrate, and a few pounds of diamonds.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Tried and tested. Were those diamonds or quartz?

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Yeah, if you are up close and personal. Me? When I call, I prefer to call long distance... ;^)

-- Mike Bartman

---------------------------------------------------------------- To reply via e-mail, remove the 'foolie.' from the address. I'm getting sick of all the SPAM...

Mike Bartman

He did say they were diamonds, but he didn't have a loupe handy so he could have been wrong.

It would also be nice to have one of those mortars that fire the little red spherical shells, from the opening scene of that same episode ("Arena"). Like a little neutron bomb it was. :-)

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Thanks Ernie!

This group is truly amazing. If you could send those plans to snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca, in PDF format, it would be very much appreciated. You guys are truly awesome. Thanks!

Reply to
Steve Kowalski

Im sure you wont mind if Ernie includes a pair of Tribbles?

Gunner

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Reply to
Gunner

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 11:28:05 GMT, Gunner brought forth from the murky depths:

How much to ship a bag of quadrotriticale to him, too? Shipping to be made in a stainless steel box, please.

Reply to
Larry Jaques