Lagun lathe - need parts

I have a friend with a broke Lagun lathe.

Anyone have a line on parts other than Lagun International? he was quoted 2X the whole lathe's value there.

Its the gear box for threading and feed that's gone south.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

IF it is a standard spur gear, try to find out the pitch of the gear. If it is a standard pitch, then there are some gear manuafacturers like Boston Gear that stock thousands of such gears. You'd have to bore and key the gear to fit the shaft.

If it is some sort of oddball, then you might have to make the gear, with a formed cutter and a dividing head. If you only need to make one or two gears, it isn't that painful.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Actually I enjoy cutting gears ... and I need to make some to refurbthe tumbler gearset on my Logan/PowrKraft . They still work fine , but they're sloppy and make some noise . Too many other things on the plate right now though .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Yep, make yer own looks like his best option. He's an experienced gun builder, but new to lathes. I think this sort of work is above his pay grade at this point.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

And the pressure angle. The last time I looked Boston's lathe-specific gears were 14-1/2 degree. Modern gears may be 20 degrees.

--jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Sounds like some barter is in order

Reply to
Rex

I sure could use a Mauser 98 LH short action ... I wanna build a 22-250 .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

How do you sharpen the gear cutters?

I've read how to do it but it seems tricky to make all the teeth cut equally. Does anyone have hands-on experience?

--jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I'd think you could mount the cutter in an arbor on the RT and use a thin grinding wheel in the spindle to touch up the face of the teeth . Hasn't been a problem here , I haven't used these enought o dull them yet .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it on.

On another note, somebody should call the sheriff on me. I just scored a dushka parts kit for $700

It will be a HUGE job to build, but worth the effort.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Yep, semi auto. I got no desire to have bubba for a roomate in an 8X10 cell

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I thought you 'mericans could own a machine gun if you paid a special tax?

Ooops.... special TAX.... Gunner Asch....

Sorry, I guess I had a Stroke Moment there... "Gunner" and "Tax".

My mistake, forgive me. Make it Semi-auto.

Reply to
goodsoldierschweik

Gunner Asch on Sun, 20 Mar 2016 18:21:48 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

In others, not so good. In the Soviet of Washington ownership of parts without a contract to manufacture, is verboten.

pyotr filipivich

I'm ferry messages to Usenet:

Karl, Thanks for the info. I'll check out Boston Gear. I will have to reassemble and install the gearbox before I can figure out what size the gear is I need. Would be a hell of a lot easier if the gear was just broken not missing >:(. Going to try Lagun again this week then move on to plan B if they can't help me.

Any help for my friend with this issue?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

These formulas lead to the size of the missing gear if he measures the shaft spacing and outside diameter of the mating gear and counts its teeth:

--jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

replying to Karl Townsend, Thomas wrote: Is it one of the older styles, from before they moved to there new facility? if so example a 1440, 1460, 1560, or 1660 lagun no longer has the parts for those lathes anymore and they also sadly lost all of there drawings and prints for them as well. The lathe book that comes with it only gives the gear's tooth count and the part number. Unfortunately this requires you to take all the parts you need out and have them made or make them yourself.

Reply to
Thomas

Gunner, this guy is answerring a REALLY OLD POST of mine. Don't know how this poly-whatever works but I've seen this before.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend