language: The missing engineering skill

Only on the weekend, no doubt. While listening to Monty Python's "I'm a Lumberjack & I'm OK"? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Precisely.

-- Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air. -- John Quincy Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, it looks like you have more than one hobby. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's challenging to accurately crank the Bridgeport handles while you're wobbling around on heels. Or so I hear.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

You should have asked if they had any E rated compressors.

John

Reply to
john

Hilarious.... wiki roolz!!

I'm still thanking Gawd dat Obamer does NOT say mouf, teef, and bruhva.... But if nukyooler is becoming mainstream by some inevitable tyranny of an ilitirit majority, then I guess mouf, teef, bruhva are on their way to Merriam/Oxford.....

And Carter was a nookyooler engineer, in the Navy! So I guess it IS nookyooler!!!!!!!

Fact remains, J Clarke is an effing asshole. Him and Heron should go camping together, with one sleeping bag.

Reply to
Existential Angst

What, you disbelieve?

Soon to be a real website and business.

I look completely different in this than she does, if you can believe that.

-- Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air. -- John Quincy Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I heard that was why NC machines were invented...

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Nancyboy Controlled??

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Only ONE table saw? I have three that need repaired. :(

So, something useful came out of Hollywood? :)

Good luck. I'm trying to get someone to help me replace the rotting 'Dutch Lap' siding on my smallest shop with Cement Board. it's too brittle for me to try to get in place with one hand:

The lumber yards around here call it 'Novelty Lumber' and want almost $3 a square foot for what looks like seconds. The cement board will cost me $0.85 per square foot. 14 sheets will do it, and I have a new steel door that needs to be frames & hung. It will be the only air conditioned shop, and 12' * 12' outside dimensions. It will be a place to build control boards for my projects. Lots of microscopic surface mount parts that will require a microscope to place & solder. I go on SS in two years, and I'm thinking about offering some electronics kits on Ebay.

You prefer Victoria's Secret? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Which is why they had to go to CNC. There weren't enough operators named Nancy. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Now they can go back. Obamacare will pay for the operator's operation.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Once upon a time.

I hate that crap with a passion. I've only done one job with it and it killed a blade cutting one sheet twice. Heavy, brittle junk! Me no like.

Take the steel door back and buy one of wood or fiberglass. Metal dents and looks like hell, plus it gets hot as Hades in the sun.

Arid conditioning in a shop is mandatory. Yeah, I don't look forward to getting a living out of SS in 6 (ten by then?) years...

He had only one secret.

-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois

Reply to
Larry Jaques

This is Central Florida where the rot proof & termite proof is a good idea. I hope never to test the fireproof part. The only cutting will be for the door & A/C. I'm taking out the pair of late '60s crank out windows to conserve usable wall space. I already have a circular saw blade sharpener. :)

It's on the north side of the builkding, n never in direct sunlight. I only paid $20 for a 200 + pound fire rated door from a surplus building supply place, 10+ years ago.

I'm not allowed any income on VA disability. That ends in two years.

That sounds quite painful! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

HF or otherwise? Which reminds me, I bought a panel cutting saw, Makita 6001K plunge saw, which I need to buy a spare blade for. I did some zero to 3/32" cuts on a screen door the other day and it performed flawlessly. $400, but worth every cent.

Did I mention "icy in winter"? OK, at $20, that's a real honest-to-Crom deal. You must have really needed it ten years ago, huh?

Ouch!

I don't -even- want to know. Really!

-- Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act, the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything. -- George Lois

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The saws are old Craftsman, and Skill. The sharpener is HF.

No one wanted them, since they had strips spot welded to them to cover the holles for the lockset. I bought two of them, and used one on the midium sized shop right away. I was going to use the other door for a welding table, but landed something else for cheap.

What are these 'Icy' & 'Winter'? I've only seen a few snow flakes in the last 24 years.

He's a liberal, crossdressing Obama voter who wants to marry Biden?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It will be a place

Hmmm, I'm sort of doing that with a real web commerce store, but people are really cheap! I can't imagine what would happen if I tried to sell on eBay, I think people would want a year of free phone support for a $1 item that cost me $0.99 to make. It is REALLY hard to make any money when selling to the hobby-level group, with competition from China, etc.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I'm looking at things that aren't on Ebay, or a way to take a handful of modules and make a complete product. I have several DDS modules, but I found the sample schematic from the IC OEM is wrong. There are two ways to interface the chip. A parallel PC printer port, or a serial interface from a 92C51 processor. One item is a USB interface board, to turn a module into a nice programmable signal generator for less than a commercial product.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, the problem is to sell something cheaply enough that people will buy it, but still make a profit on making them. Maybe I'm just no good at marketing. I do make some money at this, but not a lot. So, I was just suggesting you look at the possibility of actually earning a living income this way very carefully, not through rose-colored glasses.

And, of course, if you are making a "comlpete product" you have to worry about FCC compliance and maybe product safety testing, too. ARgghhh, big $$$

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Sell the item for a buck and the support for it for $15 per call. Note on the auction that nobody from China offers _any_ kind of support. After the first 20 calls, make sure your FAQ answers are online so they don't have to call. You won't make much for your time, but you will make something, and if anyone complains, refer them to the support plan. win/win