lapping oil

I was advised by the manurfacture of a piece of precision equipment to lab the bronze bearing (5/15 dia) using 600 grit aluminium oxide powder, however on the latest bulliten they issue they no longer mention the use of the powder only lapping oil, is lapping oil it's self a cutter? I understand that the powder may clog the pores and lead to the bearing it's self becoming a lap, however if this is the case why would a manurfacture who has been making the product for over 50 years reccomend this in the fitsr place. Any thoughts David

Reply to
David

My thoughts would be to lose the idea of using an abrasive on a brass anything unless you intend for it to be a perpetual lap. The soft brass will allow the abrasive to imbed such that a simple washing may not remove it, so until it's worn away, or the brass wears away enough to allow it to dislodge, the abrasion goes on and on.

While oil in and of itself won't act as an abrasive, it will provide the necessary lubrication to prevent the mating surfaces from galling-----mean time, they'll slowly wear until they're a good fit, then they'll keep wearing-----until they wear out. No sense acceleration that action by adding an abrasive.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Could they have been refering to Time Saver as lapping oil?

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Reply to
David

It is just possible that the "lapping oil" supplied by the manufacturer is a suspension of a lapping abrasive that breaks down with use, thus becoming ineffective with time. Powdered turkey bone springs to mind.

When I lapped soft material I made an effort to remove all lapping abrasive imbedded in the working surfaces by rolling onto the respective surfaces a layer of masking tape or duct tape. This tape was forced into intimate contact with the surfaces by rolling it on with a small diameter pin, the idea being similar to a wall paper roller. Sloooowly peeling the tape off the surfaces removed a surprising amount of debris when examined with a magnifying glass.

Unfortunately this tape idea is unlikely to work with an oil- impregnated bearing.

You might examine a drop of the "lapping oil" under a microscope to see if it is a suspension of abrasive. Your local high school or college may have a microscope still available.

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher

Reply to
David

Why don't you contact the mfg. and ask them.

Reply to
best wire