Leak in Air Compressor

Avoid one with a leak in it!

(I just HAD to say it)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I went looking for a replacement air tank recently and quickly found an oilless compressor at a repair shop that the owner hadn't returned to pick up, and the tank from an HD upright unit that had fallen over, at a surplus dealer. I got the 60 gallon HD tank and motor for $75. I replaced the broken pressure switch cover with a blue plastic electrical box, slightly modified.

After checking it over carefully I rinsed it with LPS3, which in my experience controls rust very well if reapplied every 3 years as LPS suggests. The drain water from the small compressor I built from Grainger parts in the 70's still isn't rusty.

jw

Reply to
jim.wilkins

Follow the other advice given here and replace the tank. I have been involved as an expert witness in several cases involving exploded air tanks that killed & maimed. Every tank should be hydrostatically tested to 2X the working pressure when you buy a used tank and every 5 yrs. after. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Twice the distance from one end to the middle.

the easiest way to do this hang on to both ends and flip the middle into the air, the estimate how high is up.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

The motor appears fine. It is about a 20 year old Champion compressor. My delimma would be whether a new one would be the route or and whether the cost of a new tank and potential for other problems would outweight the savings.

Reply to
RBW

A compressor is usually a very modular device, there is a prime mover (electric or combustion motor), a pump, a pressure regulator switch, and the tank. All components are swappable. I can't see why you should not be able to swap the tank. It would also be a good time to change bearings on the motor, as well.

Ignoramus12789

Depending on where you are..tanks can be a dime a dozen. Usually the pump swallows its ass, and they toss the pump, keep the tank for a couple years in a dark corner somewhere with big ideas of making it a receiver for extra air storage, never follow up and then finally wind up tossing it in the dumpster. Commercial shops that is....

Ive gotten about 6 tanks in the last couple years this way, not even looking for them, and given them to friends for extra storage when using a DA sander etc.

Gunner

Gunner