Leaking diesel storage tank

I don't know how it does with solvents/fuel/etc but there are flashing membranes that are ultra sticky. I agree with others that you could be facing huge EPA fines if the tank lets go.

Here is the flashing I'm thinking of:

There is a repair tape for TPO roofing that is even more tenacious:

DanG

Two part solution.

Visit an auto/truck parts store and you will find an epoxy based repair kit for fuel tanks. Clean the areas around the holes really well, apply the patches. While they are curing clean any loose scale/dirt off the rest of the tank and spray it with rustoleum type paint.

Reply to
Steve W.

If there are rust pinholes in the upper part of the tank from condensation, it is quite safe to assume that the bottom of the tank is in poor condition as well. 900 gal is probably 1-2 days worth of fuel depending on how frequently the pumps are run.

Reply to
Pete C.

And they wouldn't when a 900 gal tank that has known leaks finally fails and dumps hundreds of gal on the ground because it was not replaced?

Reply to
Pete C.

A nice new ground level Convault tank is in order along with suitable transfer pumps and day tanks on the engines.

Reply to
Pete C.

Rent a tank for now.

Reply to
David Lesher

Didn't say that. I said used tanks go cheap at auctions because nobody will pay anything for something they cannot use. They cannot use them because they cannot insure them.

Nothing to do with the sieves currently in use.

Reply to
clare

No, not long at ALL!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Yeah, the EPA would go apeshit over that, sending in tens of thousands of Class 4+ hazmat suited guys and quarantining the entire city, I'll bet. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I go to many places and see literally lakes of spilled oil, mountains of oily mud, shit dumped into backyard wastelands, and EPA does not seem to care all that much (and it does not know). I bet that if the OP spills a couple of hundred gallons of diesel and does not tell anyone, nothing will happen. In a few years, diesel will biodegrade and new grass will start growing.

Ignoramus8874

Nothing? Not likely. We have had several spills over the years-all because some student worker went off while filling a saddle tank on a Cummings engi ne. Last spill cost us in the area of $15K by the time all was said and don e. Student worker no longer works for me. BTW, my DD use about 100 gallons a 8 hour day when I run them hard. And yes, it is two two stroke V8s end to end running a Haliburton HT400 cement pump. Engine is gravity feed, no boo ster pump for fuel. Anyway, my goal is to get by until I can replace the ta nk in question. Replacing it will be a big job because it is in a pipe rack so getting it out will be tricky Why my predecessor put it there I haven't a clue

Reply to
Gerry

===

Plumb a small auxillary tank, (say, perhaps a 55 gal drum) in such a manner as to only receive fuel if the height in the first tank gets too close to where the leak is.

Or maybe add some sort of a sheet metal roof/ gutter /trough arrangement underneath--since most of the fuel probably ends up dripping pretty much onto the same general area.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT