Liberator Updated

They are already in operation in industry. Typically they spray powdered metals which are then run through a furnace and "melted" together

Review the various other videos that will show up to the right side of ones screen

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

True indeed. Ive no idea either. However..that being said...the Left wants Momma Government...and the rest of us want Constitutional Government. At the moment...there is not a damned thing they can do that would not result in armed and bloody revolution. In all honesty.

But as you can see by the various state governments who are pushing for more and more control of firearms..California being one of them pushing hard...really hard....who knows?

The only way to stop this sort of thing from occuring in the Blue states....is the Great Cull...IE the Second American Revolution or...or the breakup of the US into red and blue parcels. All...all of which are entirely possible and very very soon.

Some of it may be real..some of it may not. But then...one simply needs the tools and the knowlege of how to use them and when, to solve those sorts of issues. And the guts and courage to act.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I am highly impressed. Thanks

Reply to
Ignoramus4028

About being undetectable... Couldn't a person make a male plug of a shotgun chamber and length of barrel, apply mold release like PVA, and lay up a carbon fiber / resin barrel that would be significantly stronger than any plastics used in 3D printing? Or maybe instead of carbon fiber, Kevlar might make a stronger gun barrel, I hear you can get used Kevlar airbags from auto body repair shops, not sure it would be suitable for layups.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Actually there are several processes. The most primitive runs like a regular 3d printer but uses metal powder and binders instead of plastic. These are then sintered in an oven. Next class of machines can use a electron beam or a laser to sinter the metal powder directly in the machine.

These still just produce a sintered product with all the limitations of a sintered product. You wouldn't want to make a gun out of oilite. Some people fill the sintered metal with molten bronze, but that is a lot more work and still inferior to wrought or even cast metal,

The latest machines actually welds the powdered metal together into a solid and (reasonably) homogeneous mass. The tests I have read about show strengths similar to cast material.

However, the advantage of this process is not really in mass production, it is in making only one or a production so limited that it cannot take advantage of economies of scale.

My uncle Bill once told me that back in the 60's he designed some equipment for a gun manufacturer that was investment casting revolver frames and the only machining they had to do was to tap the holes. He said they could cast them with the threads in place, but the would still have to run a tap through to clean out the investment.

It will be a long time before stereolithography will even think about competing in that arena.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Would an electroplating process work for this? Something like an insulated MIG gun with the plating metal fed like wire so the plating transfer is mostly in 1 spot, maybe an insulating mask to help control where the metal is deposited. Or if this could be done with a welding process, would underwater welding help control, keeping the part solid and a controlled area (right at the arc) for the puddle?

A guy I used to work with once worked at a place where they designed parts, the 3D printer made wax parts that were then investment cast in stainless steel.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

I'm betting on it. Hey, let's give the blue staters the South and maybe Alaska. (They wouldn't last long up there, y'think?)

The Great Cull. At first, I was wishing it wouldn't happen. I now find myself wishfully wondering when the hell it's going to start. Just as you are, I'm stocked up with rocking chairs and lemonade to wait it out on my porch. Shouldn't take but a day or two, y'reckon?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Somebody was working on a spray-deposit system when I was working at _Machining_. I don't know what became of it. There also are some laser-sintering approaches that use the intersection of two laser bearms on powdered metal to do a computer-controlled local sintering of the metal. And there is an ultrasound welding technique that welds layered foils into solid masses under computer control

There probably are other things going on. There's a lot of discussion about "additive manufacturing" in the trade press. This isn't necessarily the last word, but you may find it interesting:

Hmm. An interesting question. Are you thinking of "submerged-arc welding," by any chance? The arc isn't submerged in water. It's submerged under a pile of powdered flux.

But directing welding somehow could be a possibility. I think you'll find that the really advanced methods are using lasers, sound, electron beams, etc.

Yes, there's quite a bit of that going on now.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

When I try to filling in a hole are large gap welding, I run a bead, wait for it to cool a little, run another...

I thought maybe underwater welding would be good for heat control.

Reply to
RogerN

Well, there is such a thing as welding underwater, but I have no idea how well it can be controlled.

In any case, the width of a bead from any ordinary welding is 'way too fat for the kind of resolution that can be obtained by other AM methods. It's actually very fine.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

One would assume so. There are quite a number of "fiberglass" shotgun barrels on American made shotguns over the years. They have a thin steel barrel inside...almost conduit thickness...so making one up would likely be possible. Just remember you have HEAT! along with pressure and the friction of that shot column as its blown down the barrel to contend with. So you would likely get fewer shots on such a solely plastic barrel than a composite barrel before erosions and the heat did bad things to it.

But that's old technology that the Far Left either doesn't know about...or pases over BECAUSE its old technology. The 3d printer puts a serious bee in their skivies because its ......High Tech! and there is not a damned thing they can do about it.

And that was the goal the maker was attempting to reach. And reach it..he did. Along with his printed AR-15 lowers (the regulated part of a AR-15) and printed magazines...which are quite interesting....because if they manage to ban magazines....one can simply print your own.

Watching the Left scurry around trying to ban this and that is funny as hell..when folks offer up ways to bypass the Lefts greatest efforts. The Left are reactive..not thinkers in the slightest...and they are like cockroaches when the lights are turned on...

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

You have just earned your Survivalist Neophyte First Aid Badge.

Next step up is putting in your own stitches (if really needed) and determining if they are Really Needed.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Tendjewberrymud.

I still feel they were necessary. I don't mind closing a 1/8" gap on meat, and have done so several times. But the 3/16" gap on flappy skin which stretched open every time I closed my hand was too wide to safely butterfly shut. I have sutures for the future, when needed. They're also Ethilon, so they have no real expiration date like the flighty silk suture does. They pull out quite easily, too, I found out. Me -like- that.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Do you think those 2nd-rate labor lawyers are really dumb and arrogant enough to play Game of Thrones against military officers who have practiced oriental politics in Iraq and Afghanistan? Undo the rule of law and the strong and bold will take over, while the Left is still arguing over a vegan menu.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Yeah. They always have.

(Game of Thrones? teevee?)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wimp! :) I use these foam sanding blocks to remove dead skin. If I don't, it cracks & tears the old wounds open.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, DOH! Whaddya think I used? Medium grit works best.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I use the medium grit on my feet. They get some real callouses that split.

Reply to
Steve W.

Etc etc.

I keep a dozen or so suture kits around the homestead. A couple times a year one of the critters or the roommates will open themselves up badly enough for stitches, though I generally will use butterflys on the roommates before sutures.

Vet supply places are far far cheaper for this sort of thing than are med outlets

Re: Best suture kit available on the net?

Postby Apache » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:13 pm Depends how often you use the kit and if it's only intended to be used for suturing or a bit of minor surgery. I would make a kit up myself with the following: Needleholder (personal choice) Rat toothed forceps Plain (Addison) forceps Fine straight scissors suture scissors No 3 scalpel handle (& 5 No 10 blade, 5 No 11 & 5 No 12) mosquito artery forceps (3X if for minor Sx) (2 Spencer Wells forceps, curved & a pair of Mayo scissors if for minor Sx)

Keep em in a 30 cal can with argon infused in it before closing.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

LOL! Indeed!