Lincoln welder what size rotary phase does it need?

I got a 400 amp Lincoln power supply and I am pretty sure my rotary phase converter is to small to run it. It's an Idealarc R3S-325 and I down loaded a copy of the manual and it say it will draw 51 amps. Any one try running one of these on a rotary phase?

My rotary phase converter is an older factory built unit. It has 3 switch positions. Center is off. Up is "Start" and once it's running you push the switch to down. There is no markings that I have found on it. It's is a large unit and runs my lathe just fine. My lathe is 7 1/2 HP. The question is really will it run my welder. I plan on using .03 solid wire most of the time, if not all the time. I will probably never run it turned up all the way.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.

The nice thing about welders, if they do not have power factor correction, is that you only need the phase converter to match your welding parameters, not the maximum size of the welder.

If your phase converter can run a 7.5 HP lathe, it can probblay make your welder produce appx. 5.6 kW of output. At 30 volts, it translates into almost two hundred amps of welding current, which should cover most of your needs.

I ran a Hobart CyberTig off of a 10 HP idler at some point. Worked fine. Recently I ran a 650 amp rated welder from a 17.5 HP total set of two idlers. Works fine, as long as the powwer draw is within the converter's capacity.

Reply to
Ignoramus8285

So if I run the lathe motor it should be even better?

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.

My opinion is you will be fine.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Well that settles it, God has spoken.

Reply to
Tim

It would be better, but it would be a violation of good safety practices.

Reply to
Ignoramus8285