Logan 1100004-T lathe home

We got the Logan lathe loaded and trailered back to the shop today without incident.

I'm not going to convert it, just restore it. It's in almost cherry condition except for the paint and the threading dial pinion. The threading dial was apparently left engaged for the entire life of the machine, and is still functional, but heavily worn, mostly as an artifact of the "logan method" of using the longitudinal screw as a drive shaft for the standard feeds by cutting a keyway in the screw! (darn!)

The Vari-Speed pulleys were both stuck, but they popped loose with a little encouragement. The motor? Who knows.

However, the ways are in almost perfect condition. ALL the rust that shows anywhere is just a light surface dusting from sitting in an unconditioned warehouse, but with no signs anywhere of pitting, scale, or water damage. It'll clean up with only steel wool and oil or a little Evap-O-Rust.

The ways are worn almost not at all. They must've used this for long spindle work during it's commercial life, because there is no wear concentrated near the headstock, and no hacksaw or file marks on the ways, like you see on so many old shop lathes. They really cared for it, and that likely means that good machinists used it.

This one needs to be snapped back to virgin. It's too nice to chop up for a small, not very rigid CNC.

It even came with two chucks and three faceplates. The chucks will take a bit of work. They're frozen up.

It has a lantern-style toolpost, but that can be solved.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Bueno.

Replacement time?

Wow, you lucked out.

Most excellent.

Chop up?

Ed's Red to the rescue!

Going with Aloris or PhaseII?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Naw, the longi-screw drives the cross feed. It's got have that keyway. Just a bad design (from my perspective). OTOH, they served a lot of years, both as Logan light commercial lathes and as Monkey Wards hobby lathes.

I mean 'modify'. I'll look for a defunct-electronics CNC lathe to refit with new electronics.

Phase-II works for me.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Nice to see somebody giving an old girl the TLC she deserves...

If you're got photobucket or even RCM dropbox, it would be nice to see pictures.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Speaking of Monkey Wards, I picked up a hobby wood lathe of that brand for $10, with another $10 going for a couple old/working 1/3hp motors.

What will you be producing in mass quantity to warrant a CNC lathe?

I've only seen one PII, but it looked well designed and worked fine.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

None. More for 'organic' shapes, and for quick contouring to tolerance without the time it takes to do by hand.

I draw everything first, anyway.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Phase II uses a piston to push out on the Aloris style holder. Only the angled surface and the psiton make contact.

the Aloris brand expands the Z taper with a wedge making full contact on the entire Z area. WAY more rigid. May not make any difference on light lathes with small cuts. Pour the coals to it with a heavy cut and insert tooling; the difference is night and day.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Goodonya, mate. Contouring is much easier via machine vs hand. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've haven't made any 0.100" cuts in all my days, so far, but I see what you mean. Have you experienced chattering or deflection problems with a Phase II?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Karl Townsend fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yeah, well.... Shars Tools sells a really nice Chinese version of AXA or BXA sizes with the wedge fixing. I have one (BXA), and that is what I meant by "Phase II", not specifically the brand -- just Chinese in origin.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And the BXA on my lathe handles 0.2+ with not a sign of flex.

Small cuts are a waste of time, until you get to the finishing pass.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

You're just a light weight Larry. You should be fine with a Phase II.

Deflection is a fact of life. making it rigid will reduce not eliminate it. HSS really shines here, the cutting forces are so much lower. Any time I have a part more than 4 L/D, I use HSS to finish if at all possible. Or program in the taper on the CHNC lathe.

As to chatter i have a old LeBlond where chatter is its middle name. I'd get rid of it but its hard to find another ten foot lathe for cheap.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Delrin or aluminum?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Of course I am. That's why I don't yet own a metal lathe.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I use the BXA on all my lathes, mounting them on a riser where needed.

Years ago, I made up ~500 of the straight turning holders and sold a butt load on Ebay....guessing there's still 50 or so left.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Phase II is available in both piston and wedge styles, and as of the past year or so both are priced about the same. I have a piston style on my older lathe from when the wedge type was $100 more, and my newer lathe has the wedge type now that there isn't a price premium. Both work fine and of course the holders interchange between them since they're both "B" size.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:5384dd57$0 $58213$ snipped-for-privacy@ngroups.net:

Yeah, I thought I had seen that, but mine isn't the PhaseII brand, it's from Shars. I've exchanged Aloris and PhaseII toolholders with it with no problem.

The Chinese do little well (whenever they can get away with it), but Shars has apparently ridden them pretty hard to get a toolpost that meets all the specs. It's a good tool.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I have a Shars AXA piston tool post on my Atlas 12x36 and it's rigid enough for that machine.

And I have no problem taking .100" cuts.

OTOH, I used a Voest lathe at a former job and that machine had no problem with .400". Of course, I had to stand away from the stream of chips.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Suggest use caution with anything that's made of "hardened steel"...oftentimes, the item will have mechanical properties quite similar to those of a ceramic ashtray.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

[ ... ]

Better to go with the wedge style instead of the piston style, since Phase-II makes both. I started with the wedge style Phase-II in the BXA size, and later wound up with a Dorian in the same size. Some of the toolholders are Aloris, some Phase-II, and maybe something else in the mix somewhere.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols